MINI Cooper Forum banner

2005 R53 overheated, confused!

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  1planeman 
#1 ·
Hi guys! new to the forum just picked up used mini, 2005 cooper s. auto 6 spd.
Its been a great car to drive since I got it , but yesterday I was driving it and the car felt like it stalled but it had no power(went into some safe mode or something) so pulled over, and I looked over at temp and it was all the way to 250..engine light came on aswell..I shut her off and wait a bit and then she starts up fine but still reading hot, so I wait for it to cool, went to normal operating temp, it only drove a few feet before power would cut off and was still getting hot.
I checked the radiator reservoir its wasn't really hot and it did not hiss or steam up. looked in it seemed empty so grabbed water, came back and there was fluid in there.....I try to move to a parking space and still had no power and idle was a little rough. And engine light on. so I towed her home.. I started her up hours later and started up fine and no engine light and good idle.. I still haven't driven the car since then....I might try driving around he block to see if starts to over heat. any ideas on what to take a look at? I was thinking maybe thermostat..

#2 ·
I would say a stuck closed thermostat to , or at least something is not allowing fluid around the cooling system. It was good you didn't poor cold water straight into an over heated engine , that's great for warping heads .

Whip out the thermostat , drop in into a pan of water and turn the heat on , as the water heats up to temp it should open thermostat , if the stat stays shut well passed boiling point , your stat it naff.

#4 ·
thanks guys , ill be checking the thermostat soon, also something new the car is doing now, is I hear a rattle kinda tapping sound coming from pulley area, believe its coming from tensioner, does the cylinder inside the spring supposed to move up and down as the engine is running? ill check the sound again to make sure its not coming from the rear of supercharger.

#5 ·
I recently had an EML light come on when the car gets hot it goes into limp mode. Changed the idler [pulley and tensioner. My car did not overheat but it was running hot. That is now solved however I do still get an EML lite rarely. and one time went into limp mode after hitting a bump. Turn off and start immediately and car runs fine again. You don't even have to stop the car turn key off while coasting and right back on

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.