MINI Cooper Forum banner

2005 R53 Cooper S - Ideas to increase Power?

17K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  nobbyclark 
#1 ·
Hello All!

I am new to the forums and though i'd start my first thread! :)

I have a 2005 R53 Cooper s which is pretty much standard apart from a few cosmetic mods (Decals, Wheels, spoiler etc), a horrific custom made exhaust, Iridium spark plugs and an engine strut brace.

I am now going down the modding route, after owning the car for nearly a year i think its time to increase the power!

Below are the parts waiting to go on the car
  • Miltek Catback non-resonated Exhaust
  • 15% Supercharger Pulley Reduction
  • 2% Enlarged and lightened crank pulley
  • GRS Top mount intercooler
  • Dave F filter
  • Stage 2 remap (Bluefin)

With all of this it should be running around 220HP with 207 ft/lb of torque (Dyno results will confirm)

In light of all this my question to you guys - is there any other modifications i can do (without breaking the bank) to increase the power?

See less See more
#6 ·
That's because they do need a remap really

As above, ATI, but in standard size (something I still have to do), and the most secure fitting 17%. You may get those bhp figures flywheel at a guess, but doubt the torque. Only my opinion though.

The Bluefin doesn't have the best rep. but possibly better than nothing? I wouldn't use one. Get it tailor mapped for better accurate results at all loads through the rpm scale = safer engine if done on the rollers. Again just my 2p.

Milltek won't add much power really, the standard system does surprisingly well.

Talk of the car learning to adapt for mods is not quite right. They do adapt, but not where it is most important up the rpm scale.

#7 ·
I was under the impression that you will not need to remap the car when fitting a 15% reduction pulley, a 17% is recommended and a 19% is essential. Am i wrong in thinking this?

Once i get the pulley up to a 17% reduction i will be getting a custom map added on but that will not be until next year at some stage.

As for the exhaust, my old system has a hole in the bat box, lose baffles and the secondary cat is on its way out (It currently sounds straight piped) The miltek sounds the best IMO :big_grin:

#9 ·
The issue there is you're not getting a 15% pulley really are you, as a 2% crank pulley makes your intended charger pulley the equivalent of a 17%, plus you're altering the intake. These cars do run rich on the original spec, which people may say is BMW keeping the engine on the safe side. If you exploit that safety area by using it to compensate for these changes, you are removing it no? If the original map can be improved on a standard car, it clearly can be improved on a tuned one. It may not always make much more power, but it optimises it. I ran mine with a generic Autologic remap with just the pulley originally, and then a cam etc. People also say you can do that, but I've been there before, and frankly there is potential expense ahead if you do.

It's one thing saying these run rich anyway, but where exactly? At what load and rpm are they still rich? Nobody can tell you, as every car is different. Your injectors will be operating at the top of their range, the ignition will be wrong for the mods applied quite likely, and the fuelling which is already rich will get worse when the ecu compensates.

You've got to do what you're happy with, but the advice of others when you alone are faced with any potential short or long term consequences, should be well considered really. Just my 2p.

You could do worse than get the engine checked and a run up on a rolling road to see how it looks before you do anything, then you have a benchmark, and possibly some advice from who does it?

Reactions: seanui
#10 ·
Disagree about the comment re the Milltek not adding much power. It was the first mod I ever did on my R53 and it made a noticeable difference. Sounds great too.

I have a 17% pulley and a +2% crank and no remap. Not noticed whether it runs rich or not.

But I echo the advice above: get a baseline BHP figure and an engine health check before you do anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.