Fan not coming on, water leaking from expansion tank.. - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > Model Specific MINI Forums > MINI John Cooper Works, GP and World Championship 50 > First Generation Works

First Generation Works MINI John Cooper Works 2003 - 2006

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blown expansion tank? SirRawlins First Generation Faults & Fixes 7 Nov 3rd, 2011 09:22 PM
Mini One Expansion tank cap swoosta First Generation MINI Exterior 4 Nov 18th, 2009 08:04 PM
Cracked expansion tank andykaz First Generation Faults & Fixes 4 Sep 11th, 2009 10:02 AM
bubbling expansion tank!! sted First Generation Faults & Fixes 7 Jun 12th, 2009 10:04 AM
AAAGH! Water in coolant expansion tank Maccaloon First Generation MINI Tuning 2 Sep 14th, 2004 12:48 PM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 08:34 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 10:50 PM
Pure Silver Fan not coming on, water leaking from expansion tank..

Hi all, this is my first post.
I have been to look at a 2002 mini cooper s John cooper works today.
Car was in very good condition, drive really well, no knocks or rattles.

However, after the test drive I left the car running while I had another look around the interior, when my wife noticed steam seeping through the bonnet.

Popped the bonnet to find the expansion tank leaking from what seems to be a crack in the bottom. I also noticed that the fan didn't come on.

We left the car cool, topped up with warm water and opened the coolest bleed valve and started the car up again.

Seller took it round the block to get it hot again, pulled up and same thing happened again.

I couldn't find a temp gauge, I checked the heater in side the car and it was blowing hot air well.

Not gunk in the expansion tank, no gunk to be seen at the oil filler cap, no gunk when I checked the dip stick.

Seller has said he will had the issue sorted and for me to come back next week to check all is in good order.

Has anyone got any info that can help me.. seller seems very genuine and offering to do what he can to rectify the problem. What should I check for when I go back??

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tyrone Goodwill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 1st, 2012, 11:52 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Splits in earlier plastic expansion tanks are common replacements are stronger.
Cooling fan has 2 speeds high and low, check both work as low speed resistor often fails so first stage never cuts in causing overheating. Bleed cooling system carefully for air after any work on system as any trapped air causes overheating or heater to stop working.

More info here:
Solving MINI Cooling Problems.......... - Forums

Low Speed Fan Problems:
"If you click the air con on make sure the fan kicks in, it should, if it doesn't check all the fuses in the engine bay fuse box.
In a perfect Mini cooling system, the low-speed fan will come on (and stay on) when you turn on the A/Con - always. If the fan does not come on (low-speed) when you turn on the A/C, but then comes on at high-speed after a few minutes (you'll know it's on high - very loud), those are the symptoms of a burned-out resistor."
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 11:15 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Thanks for that info. Haven't received a call back from the seller; so thinking that the problem turned out to be more serious than i thought.. shame, as we really liked that car.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 10:01 PM
MINI2 Newbie

For the call to say the car was ready. Garage said it was just the expansion bottle; it had a hole.
Went today to view for the second time, going on the above advice I checked the fan was working. But it wasn't. Even with the AC switched on. Also, the second speed of the fan did don't kick in. I took it for a drive to get the engine was and let it run for a but no fan action.

Opened the fuse box and it seems the fuses are ok. Could it be a relay?
He is taking it back to the garage Monday to get the fan working.

Do you have any more info of me?

Cheers

Tyrone
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 11:03 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 11:50 PM
United Kingdom Male
Hi

There are 3 fuses in the system on the 2002 I think F05 , F08 , FL11 these are in the engine bay N/S.
I think also if you disconnect the water temp sensor the fans should fail safe and come on and run. but it been a while since I have messed around on the system
Also these cooling systems can be abit of a cow to bleed and get the air out of it
Also check your relays in the relay/ fuse box in engine bay hope this helps
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 11:03 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
For both fan speeds not to function I guess it could be a relay and/or the fan motor assy itself which is a reasonably expensive part new but fairly easy job to replace...........if they fix it do the same checks again to confirm its ok.

MINI Fuses / Relays / Earth Points:
http://www.mini2.com/forum/maintenan...th-points.html
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 12:05 AM
MINI fanatic

Local Time: 05:50 PM
United States Male View Acallahan's Classified Ads
This little item fixed my low speed fan problem

Gen 1 Fan Relay Kit - Detroit Tuned

2004 MCS JCW, 15% pulley, Dinan CAI, MSD ignition & wires, Mynes V2 header, TSW rear control arms, H-sport front and rear sway bars, H-sport lowering springs, Powerflex bushings all around, modified Forge intercooler, M7 STB , ATI Damper
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 05:01 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Thanks for the info guys.
I received a call from the garage that initially repaired and tested the mini.
They told me that the fan was working when the bottle was replaced and again today the the seller took it back to them.
I questioned him as to why then didn't it come on when I turned on the AC switch, but he didnt know the answer to they; just that it worked when he tested it.

But without the temp gauge I cannot be sure that the car was hot enough for the fan to come on. It was a cold day yesterday in Oxford. I did take the car for a drive to try and get the temp up.

He did suggest that maybe the intercooler was keeping the engine cooler too as the air was already quite cold.. ??

Tyrone
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 11:54 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
If the Mini seems ok in all other respects, is definitely not overheating or steaming as before and you can still not witness the fan operating then you may wish to go ahead and purchase, but allow for a possible rad fan replacement in future when the weather warms up in traffic or on a longer fast drive. Most of the Mini forums insist fan usually kicks in with A/C and is a good test but I guess there could be exceptions?
Perhaps get a part price for supply and fit of a new fan assy from a garage so you at least know what costs to expect if it does prove to be faulty and can then maybe bargain to get a bit of a price reduction off the seller.
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 07:57 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Quote: Originally Posted by mab01uk (original)
If the Mini seems ok in all other respects, is definitely not overheating or steaming as before and you can still not witness the fan operating then you may wish to go ahead and purchase, but allow for a possible rad fan replacement in future when the weather warms up in traffic or on a longer fast drive. Most of the Mini forums insist fan usually kicks in with A/C and is a good test but I guess there could be exceptions?
Perhaps get a part price for supply and fit of a new fan assy from a garage so you at least know what costs to expect if it does prove to be faulty and can then maybe bargain to get a bit of a price reduction off the seller.

I went ahead and got the car! Very happy with it! Couldn't get the fan to come on but at the price I got it for I couldn't complain. 😊

Haven't had a chance to use it as much as I want to due to getting a slow puncture! Booked in to get sorted next week.

I'm going to take it to a friend for a full service and for him to check out the fan/cooling system. but so far the new expansion bottle seems to working fine. (no steam at least when left to idle).

Just wish they put temp gauges on the things!!

Tyrone
Thanks for this post from:
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 01:48 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Glad you got the JCW for a good price!

Some enthusiast Mini owners do connect in something like a 'scangauge?' mounted on the dash to give direct/precise digital display temp readings from the main ecu......but car manufacturers today prefer to eliminate a temp gauge completely in favour of a warning light or else provide a simplified gauge which sits at 'normal' over a wide extreme in order to avoid worrying non-technical minded drivers with too much information.......until its too late!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement