MINI Cooper Forum banner

JCW Newbie Needs Advice!

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  montmudd 
#1 ·
I've bought an 03 JCW. First mini I have owned. I'm really disappointed with the power of it to be honest. The boost gauge is reading 1 bar boost but the supercharger doesn't really kick in till around 4000 rpm? It's really sluggish, throttle response is rubbish and it generally feels slow. At 4000 rpm in sixth gear it's reaching 100 mph. What should a JCW really go like? And if so, what could be wrong? Really want to get it sorted!!!

#3 ·
I've bought an 03 JCW. First mini I have owned. I'm really disappointed with the power of it to be honest. What should a JCW really go like? And if so, what could be wrong? Really want to get it sorted!!!
They go pretty impressively, or should, but it depends on what youre comparing it with, what did you have before? Ferrari, Aston, Bugatti? it would be a bit sluggish probably to them. Your car is getting on a bit, is it basically in good health, the engine? whats the mileage? Cooper S's do get worked hard and sometime thrashed.
Have you had it yet on a MINI diagnostics machine?
Yours is a proper JCW and not a 50p badge conversion is it?

#4 ·
Well this is what's worrying me! I came from an e46 BMW 330d but I've had a variety of cars around 200bhp mark. It has the JCW air box, inter cooler surround and plaque on the rocker cover. It also has the red dot on the head. It has the JCW exhaust and programming stamp under the ECU cover. Just feels sluggish

#6 ·
I had the car dyno'd today and it was 188.3 bhp ... So in need of some TLC. I've ordered a full service kit including BPV and a new silencer as it is leaking inside itself. Hopefully be up around the correct figures then.

Any suggestions on some first modifications? It has a kavs 19% pulley ATM so what would you guys suggest next?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.