MINI Cooper Forum banner

Can I swap my jcw engine with an s engine

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  scrappyloz 
#1 ·
I recently brought a 2003 jcw (200bhp) edition with a very very noise engine. I thought the noise was a snapped valve bouncing around inside but after taking the head of earlier I found that it is small end bearing failure. There is no point in me rebuilding the engine as replacements are so cheap.

I'm looking at dropping an s engine in and fitting my supercharger to it.

I heard that the only difference engine wise between the s and 200bhp jcw engine is the supercharger and the exhaust ports are ported.

I can port the exhaust ports on the s engine no problem. Are there any other engine changes to be aware of? Cheers

#2 ·
From Wiki:

Cooper S R52 and R53

The first JCW Tuning Kit to be made available for the Cooper S was an upgrade for the Cooper S, producing a total of 200 bhp (150 kW). Released in 2002, the kit consisted of the following components:

Uprated cylinder head, gas-flowed and ported
Uprated supercharger, faster-spinning
Uprated spark plugs
Uprated exhaust system
Remapped ECU
Decorative badges, individually numbered engine plate and certificate signed by Mike Cooper

You already have the jcw supercharger pulley, exhaust, and remapped ecu.

If you port the exhaust (and somewhat who ports heads well can do a better job than the jcw head)
and use the jcw plugs, you should be right back to a full jcw package. Maybe give a little attention to
the intake ports while you're at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.