MINI Cooper Forum banner

No More Paddle shifters: except Cooper S in 2009?

9K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  85NIXMIN 
#1 · (Edited)
Just read a post from Gabe on the Motoringfile.com that paddle shifters will be dropped from all the models except the Cooper S versions. Those that order a Cooper (hard or soft) with Automatic Transmission won't get the option for paddles.

Were they just not selling enough auto transmission vehicles with paddles in the Cooper setup? So who's Glad, sad or indifferent on this?

#3 ·
Interesting. I wonder if MINI publishes how many MINIs are ordered Automatic vs Manual by country...

I plan on ordering an automatic just so my wife can drive it every now and then. She prefers that even though I tried to explain how it's " much more fun and true to the driving experience" to have a manual transmission. Compromises I have to make.

#5 ·
Our first MCS hatch is an auto as my wife cannot drive a manual car. I was hoping that my Clubman could be a manual but as we do sometimes end up swapping cars for various reasons, I decided it would be easier all round if my Clubbie had an auto gearbox as well. Shame really, as with all the options I wanted, it has ended up costing just as much (if not more) than a factory JCW would have set me back!

Having said that, most of my driving is stuck stop-starting in motorway jams to and from work, so for the most part, I am very happy to be sat in an automatic. For me the paddles are a bit of a gimmick - I have given them a go from time to time but that has always been for a bit of fun and I soon get bored and return normal "Drive" mode. To be honest, I think when it comes to using the manual shift function, I still prefer to push the gear lever forwards or back to change gear as it feels more "natural" to do this than flap at some paddles on the steering wheel. I don't think I would miss the paddles at all.

#6 ·
The paddles are a bit annoying and hard to reach while turn a bend and wanting to change gear.... I found that out last night when I had a bit of a play around with my auto... I mostly just drive it like that... very rarely to I switch to the manual mode... I'm lazy...lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.