MINI2 No.1

Local Time: 09:00 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

England Male

Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_knut
I don't know if somebody already posted, but my dealer said the four wheel drived version is confirmed and we can expect it in about two to three years. And the main purpose of the AWD will most likely be to bring all the power of the new turbo engine to the street

And besides that there will be some 3-door (2 on the passenger side, the rear one will open towards the back), longer version of the Mini.
I've seen or heard nothing, official or otherwise, that they are going to release a 4WD MINI for public consumption.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 80 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
6X therapist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

View Goonery's Classified Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mullett
I've seen or heard nothing, official or otherwise, that they are going to release a 4WD MINI for public consumption.
Nope , Nothing here either

post #63 of 80 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2005, 03:32 PM
MINI2 Regular

Switzerland Male View le_knut's Solid Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Send a message via MSN to le_knut
well, my dealer told me, and some BMW Switzerland guy... Considering that I wanted to buy the John Cooper Works Kit, I don't think the dealer had told me that if it weren't true and rather sold me the kit.

Please don't blame me in 2 or 3 years when there's no 4WD

still waiting.. for a better time

post #64 of 80 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2005, 09:03 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 08:00 PM

United States View S2000&CooperS's Pure Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View S2000&CooperS's Classified Ads

Well, we can all hope can't we?!?!?

07 Honda Accord V6 6-speed Taffeta White/Tan (wife's)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW Checkmate Astro Black/Silver
post #65 of 80 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2005, 12:22 AM
MINI MAN

United States

well, if we wish real hard, maybe we will all get one!
post #66 of 80 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
Carpe Diem

Local Time: 03:00 PM

United States Male View cooper_s_flyer's Solid Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

United-States TT's were "designed that way from day 1"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonD
Put another engine in the back seat - that's what they did last time.

On a more serious note it is a pain to get a 'crossways' engine to turn power through 90 degrees to drive a shaft to the rear wheels. Obviously not impossible but you would want to design it that way from day 1.

If VAG does it with the Audi TT why would it not be plausible with a Mini?

It is not how fast you go, but how you go.
post #67 of 80 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2005, 11:34 AM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 10:00 PM

Greece

VAG's Haldex solution is a huge NO, imho. We don't want that. A permanent all wheel drive is what we seek with, at least, rear LSD. Also most of the torque to be driven on the rear axle first. VAG's cars are FWD in normal conditions.
If they need to "copy" someone let that be Mitsubishi and Subaru.
post #68 of 80 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
Carpe Diem

United States Male View cooper_s_flyer's Solid Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

United-States Yes... Torsen over Haldex... I concur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananiou
VAG's Haldex solution is a huge NO, imho. We don't want that. A permanent all wheel drive is what we seek with, at least, rear LSD. Also most of the torque to be driven on the rear axle first. VAG's cars are FWD in normal conditions.
If they need to "copy" someone let that be Mitsubishi and Subaru.
So you are a fan of Torsen... I am as well. Subies are biased systems though... sending more power to the whichever (outer) wheels are requiring such. But I resoundingly agree with you as to the use of Torsen over Haldex.

I actually just used the TT as a "small car" example not actually thinking of the AWD system involved. I am sick of VAG cars... and that is why I traded my '01.5 6spd. Audi S4 in for the new 6 spd. Mini Cooper S.

The new "S" pleases me much more than the former.

It is not how fast you go, but how you go.
post #69 of 80 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2005, 10:48 AM
MINI2 Regular

Greece

I don't think S4 is "sick" to drive though, i wouldn't mind having one. S4 is a torsen car, as all S and RS models over S3. The TT car is based on the golf chassis, i guess that's why the "small car", so it was left with haldex which undermined the cars sport characteristics.
The reason i support the RWD 4x4 system it's because you can over steer the current S pretty easy. So a version of that kind wouldn't be something new to current owners.
Unless they drive to the market and back.
What I am trying to say is that a model which it will be useless for dynamic driving is not what the S, current or future, owners need.
post #70 of 80 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2005, 07:49 PM
MINI2 Senior

United States View kapps's Electric Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananiou
I don't think S4 is "sick" to drive though, i wouldn't mind having one. S4 is a torsen car, as all S and RS models over S3. The TT car is based on the golf chassis, i guess that's why the "small car", so it was left with haldex which undermined the cars sport characteristics.
The reason i support the RWD 4x4 system it's because you can over steer the current S pretty easy. So a version of that kind wouldn't be something new to current owners.
Unless they drive to the market and back.
What I am trying to say is that a model which it will be useless for dynamic driving is not what the S, current or future, owners need.
First off, you can understeer the current MCS very easily, not oversteer. On a RWD platform, oversteer would be prevelant. Oversteer is a lot harder for normal drivers to handle (think Porsche) so a platform like that wouldn't be very safe. Also a mini is just not a mini if it's rwd. Also, they could just do a continuously varying split like Subaru and use electronics to determine which wheels should get the power.

post #71 of 80 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2005, 01:02 PM
MINI2 Regular

Greece

You can not power over steer like you would in a RWD car. But interesting things happen when you lift off the accelerator on the apex or left brake at the entrance of the corner. Even though this kind of driving is not encouraged you can do it with the MINI or Clio unlike Golf for example which doesn't feel "happy" in these driving techniques. MINI have the potential to be driven in many ways and that's fine by me. If the daily driver can't help it, especially in a RWD car, he can drive it with the help of electronics like DSC or ESP. In no way i suggest they should build a car so difficult like Porsche used to be. But they should at least try not to turn MINI into a fashion statement, if haven't already.
So do you think that a 4x4 MINI oriented for the snow resort is more "MINI" than a FWD, RWD or 4x4 version build for driving pleasure? I wouldn't want that car. And if they do it they should concider building a version for the petrol heads, like Renault did with Clio V6.
post #72 of 80 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2005, 11:39 AM
R1
Addicted to Speed!!

United Kingdom Male View R1's Dark Silver & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Bit more info I found on the 4X4 test "S". Don't know if it's been posted before though.

http://www.motoringfile.com/files/getrag_awd.pdf

post #73 of 80 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2005, 08:54 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom View Nameless's Velvet Red & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapps
First off, you can understeer the current MCS very easily, not oversteer. On a RWD platform, oversteer would be prevelant. Oversteer is a lot harder for normal drivers to handle (think Porsche) so a platform like that wouldn't be very safe. Also a mini is just not a mini if it's rwd. Also, they could just do a continuously varying split like Subaru and use electronics to determine which wheels should get the power.
Depends what you're used to / learned to drive on. I guess I'm an old fart, cos I learned on RWD, and understeer still scares the bejeesus out of me . I just find it unnatural.
post #74 of 80 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2008, 04:04 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

4WD conversion

USe the engine and running gear from a Nissan Pulsar GTiR
Benefits from loads of cheap parts and loads of easily obtainable mod bits to knock the power up way past 300bhp and you can also get stroker kits to go up to 2.3 litre
The car is about the same size and the Pulsar has bugger all space under the bonnet
post #75 of 80 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2008, 06:46 PM
MINI2 Senior

Scotland Male View James@fomsport's Classified Ads

Holy thread resurrection batman.

on a real note i dont see this happening the mini is a front hooker 4WD will add too much weight / under steer without something like the evos active yaw control it would be a pig and the mini isnt supposed to be a tech fest theres reasons why folk aint fitting 4WD to hatches ford didnt on the new RS and old RS focus as they said it added to much weight and wasnt of real cost - performance benefit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	039_41652~Batman-Robin-Posters.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	149685  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.