MINI Cooper Forum banner

R56 and my Cooper S.

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Gilles27 
#1 ·
Drove a Cooper S R56 (tintop) today and can now compare it to my 2005 Cooper S Convertible.

1) Interior is a huge improvement except for the center console. It looks and feels terribly cheap and adjusting the heater controls is not easy when you're on the move. Don't like the inbuilt Cd player or volume button. Hate the overhead switches, and I think it would take time to get used to the push button start - which should be red in colour! But the whole car feels better made.
2) Engine and chassis do not appear as much fun, but drive train is smooth and it rides better.
3) Rear exhausts on the S look more purposeful.
4) Did not think I would like the huge speedo, but my speedo now looks rather feeble.

All in all it is a good step forward - just wish they would sort the rubbish feel of the center console. :wink:

#2 ·
I had an R56 Cooper courtesy car the other while my MCS was having her first service done. I absolutely loved it. Just a step up inside, some really neat little touches, even things like the fonts used for the displays, although the heater controls were a bit fiddly for my shovel hands.

Found it funny when you turn the ASC off, the yellow light comes on, the square display tells you the ASC is off with a big symbol, and a little hazard sign appears next to the mileage all at the same time. Just thought it was funny :p

#4 ·
:D Totally agree with you about the R56 interior why do they not do a carbon or black option for the dials would make it look better the whole thing looks cheap, No Mini it is not retro cool it's all too Japanese. Sorry hate the Massive speedo as i have a chrono pack which they do not do for the R56. No whine and i'm sorry i think they have BMW'd the character of the Car away the JCW is going 4000+ i hope not so dissapointing and the sad thing is the new Corsa VXR is quicker. Rebadge it Bmw 1.5 series. Sorry to anyone that has one i am just well frankly dissapointed in it. Yes it is built better but true to form the one i had rattled which made me grin.

When i got back in my JCW S i was grinning again instead of yawning sorry i love my mini but i think my next car will not be one because of how dissapointed i am with the R56 S

on a brighter not i got a 2006 convertible MCS at present as mine is having some warranty work done at the moment and really like it....

Drove a Cooper S R56 (tintop) today and can now compare it to my 2005 Cooper S Convertible.

1) Interior is a huge improvement except for the center console. It looks and feels terribly cheap and adjusting the heater controls is not easy when you're on the move. Don't like the inbuilt Cd player or volume button. Hate the overhead switches, and I think it would take time to get used to the push button start - which should be red in colour! But the whole car feels better made.
2) Engine and chassis do not appear as much fun, but drive train is smooth and it rides better.
4) Did not think I would like the huge speedo, but my speedo now looks rather feeble.

All in all it is a good step forward - just wish they would sort the rubbish feel of the center console. :wink:

#5 ·
I've seen a couple of R56 S's recently and I think the exhausts look a bit daft. They look like an afterthought and don't seem properly integrated with the rest of the car.
When I drove an R56 S I was impressed with the interior and the speed. My impression is that the new car is easier to live with than the old, but probably less fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.