MINI Cooper Forum banner

Towing a MINI

9K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Thomas R Moninger 
#1 ·
I have searched here found a few informative threads on this topic, but they were all old (at least the ones I found were old ) .....

I'm thinking about getting a new vehicle for towing behind my motorhome. I used to have a 2002 Cooper and loved it and would love to have another.

I'm sure I could tow a 2008 Cooper using a dolly but wonder about towing it flat, as a dinghy, all four wheels down.

Anyone here doing it?

Anyone here willing to look in their owner's manual to see if it is: 1) ok? 2) not suggested? 3) doable but will void the warranty? 4) forbidden?

Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
From crawling around underneath i don't know where you would attach anything to the plastic front to flat tow it ???

Dolly would probably work - but traillering it would probabbly be best and recommended

#3 ·
Here's a picture of us towing our MCSC when moving cross country. We also towed our GP cross country with our Toyota FJ Cruiser. Both were on the same tow dolly and were fine. The blue bra on the car is made from tape, it's to protect the front from rocks.

There is a kit available to flat tow a manual MINI, but it is not recommended and will void your warrenty.

#4 ·
AprilWhine! Is that you? I met you in April or May 2002 at a drive at Crown Mini. I was the guy with the little blenheim Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and the BRG Cooper. Remember? Man, I can't believe you've moved cross country!

We live in Alabama now and are soon (I hope) gonna be travellin _all_over_ the country in our motorhome. I too have a FJ Cruiser but since it can't be towed 4 down, I think I'm going to go the Cooper-on-a-dolly route.

Thanks!

#5 ·
Yes, it's me! I thought you dropped out of the MINI world! Mike Angier said you sold the MINI and bought a BMW SUV.

We have a Navion and are planning on towing the MINI behind it when we want a towd, but the skinny Winnie is so easy to park, we are going to just take it most of the time. I'm on a Yahoo group for those makes, and one of the other owners tows a MC 4 down. But IMO, the cost of the conversion equals the price of a good dolly, and doesn't void your warrenty. :cool:

Here's our rig:

#7 ·
Yep, that was true. I sold the '02 and got a 4.4 X5. That car was so not me ... I only kept it 4 months. I'd keep the FJ for a very long time if I could tow it. My 2 favorite cars I've ever owned are the FJ and the Cooper, so I suppose it's gonna be a new Cooper for me.

Which dolly do you use? Did you worry with supplemental braking?

Caravaning could be a good idea once we head out west!

#8 ·
We have the Demco Tow-It with surge brakes: Tow Dollies and Tow Bars from Demco

Bought it slightly used off Ebay for a good price, but had to pick it up. No big deal, we were lucky it was less than 200 miles away. We have the one with surge brakes, that was necessary for the lightweight RV. We had an older dolly without brakes which we sold a few months ago, that's the one in the pictures. We towed the MCSC with the old U Haul west, then the GP with the FJ.

Agree with you about the MINI and FJ, we'll keep that pair. :) We're going to sell one of the MINIs, we just don't need three cars now that we're retired. Just have to decide which one. We put 10k miles on the FJ the first month we owned it, made a trip to NV then back to VA.

You can tow the FJ but it's not easy. Fuzzy says disconnect the drive shaft and use the dolly. We're going to do that to move it to NV, but for trips to Moab or Death Valley we'll just drive it with the RV.

We are currently in VA doing maintenance on the house that is for sale, we're heading back to NV soon. We're going to take the scenic route via the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and anything else that strikes a fancy.

#10 ·
Wow that looks pretty gutsy. I just looked up the weight on the FJ --- I don't think my motorhome would enjoy the 4300 lbs (plus all the stuff I'd stuff into it). The Mini looks like the #1 option right now. How much does that dolly weigh?

#12 ·
Hi Beau, strange world, isn't it?

The FJ is almost a MINI, it has a white top! I put a red "S" on the back of the FJ, makes it faster, you know.;) And, it has a MINI's on the dragon sticker. We drove the Dragon with it, and got posted on Killboy's site. :D

The combined weight of the dolly and MINI is close to the recommended for the Navion to tow. I feel more comfortable towing slightly more weight, with the dolly having the surge brakes. The trip towing the GP with the FJ was ok, till I got into that 4 mile long 9% downgrade on the Boulder Dam bypass going into Laughlen from the East. That was a pucker factor. Getting it up to speed is no problem, stopping it is the problem.:eek:

If you get your tow dolly used, they sell for about what you pay for them when you decide you want to go with something else. And they sell pretty fast. We sold the old one in Vegas to a guy who was going to tow a Scion XB behind a huge Class A. I had modified it to tow the GP. I took the ramps off, and made them stand alone by blocking the front of them with two by's. That way they could not kick up and damage the sills of the GP. The GP is so low it will not run over a soda can without hitting. I gained a little more clearance by replacing the tires on the dolly with the lowest profile Falken 512's that I could get. The Falkens are rated to 50 psi inflation pressure, so a little more carrying capacity. That dropped the axle of the dolly to about 2-3 inches from the ground. It dragged on high spots in gravel lots, but it was a strong beast, and no big deal.

Kept the FJ in fourth gear all the way across country, got pretty good gas mileage, and had no problems with towing the weight. Our best fuel mileage was in the mountains of Colorado coming back, but we could get real gasoline there (No Ethanol).

I would tow the FJ in flat areas, even tho a little overweight, but the electronics for the four wheel drive preclude that. Evidently, when you put the transfer case in neutral it starts the connection between front and rear to prevent gear grind. Too bad.

We pulled a travel trailer to MINI's on the Dragon with the FJ, so the GP was a piece of cake. :cool:

Here is a photo of one of the View/Navion owners towing his MINI. :cool: I will try to get details of what mods by what manufacturers products enabled him to do it. In the end, they are our vehicles, and we can do with them what we wish. :D

Jim

#11 ·
We'll tow it out with the old U-Haul, not the RV. Our Navion is only rated to tow 3500 lbs. If we're going off roading, we'll drive the FJ and the RV and haul more stuff in the FJ. ;) Can't have too much *stuff* in the desert. ;)

I'm not sure what the dolly weighs, maybe Fuzzy can answer? The dolly and MINI are less than the rated allowance of the RV.

#14 ·
That's great data Jim, thanks!

And our next Mini, should that come to pass, will have the beige leather too :) -- since I now have _3_ of those dogs (though one is black).

Which reminds me ... it looks like all of the new cars have black carpet regardless of the interior color. True?

#16 ·
I just reread this entire thread, and it makes us look a little two faced. From not towing, to Dolly towing, to flat towing.:eek:

Beau, you can't tow the FJ without removing the rear driveshaft. Electronic tecno gobble.

The tow dolly weighs over 750 lbs. That with the car, puts us slightly above the recommended load recommendation by MB. The tow dolly is a PITA to deal with. It is long, wide and hard to store and push around when not using it. Not quick to unload, and then you have to store it when camped. With the tow bar, flat towing is quick to hook up, and when needed, the tow bar will lock in the upright position for manuvering the car in tight spaces. If confronted with a dead end street, the tow bar flipped up and locked, then the car can be driven, the tow dolly would have to be unloaded.

The tow bar mount for the MINI is pretty well force distributed, yes, lots of plastic. Hey, I never thought a plastic pistol would work either!:eek: Anyone contemplating having a tow base plate installed on their MINI should choose the installer with care. The baseplate does mount to metal.:) The Roadmaster web site now lists the kit as not fitting the Clubman. The base plate mounted without a problem to the Clubman frame, but the Grill required a lot more surgery with tin snips than indicated on the install instructions that came with the Kit. I had already bought the tow kit, and the car, so it was going to be installed. I made a few small changes for the stronger, will not publish them but will discuss in PM. When not towing, the entire external mount and tow bar remove without tools for storage. Only the 40MM rocket launchers remain visible on the car.

If the company who makes the baseplate will not recommend it for the Clubbie, I will not either. That said, I am quite satisfied with my install, and have confidence in it. The Roadmaster Base plate is quite strong. I have done installs in a previous life when I was an RV technician, so I have over the average knowlege of how to do it correctly.

Towing a MINI is not recommended by MINI USA for liability reasons. Towing a MINI will void your transmission warranty. MY car, my decision. Any front wheel drive MANUAL transmission car can be flat towed without damage. The gears are just turning without load, much less wear that driving it.

I will not debate if a MINI should be towed or not. I am not recommending that a MINI be towed. I am towing mine, and lots of other people are towing theirs. We are all adults, make you own decision. :)

Today, Fuzzy rigged our clubbie for flat towing.

#17 ·
Flat Towing Mini

Just checking: Are you the same gent that posted not to flat tow a mini back on April 14 2003? IN that blog writer against flat towing Mini. Have the transmissions changed?

Looking at a used 2015 Mini Set up for flat towing and certainly getting mixed messages. Mini Corporate has no mechanically trained staff to answer question and directed me to dealers. One local Mini dealer one mechanic said no problem and the other only concerned about transmission jumping into gear while being towed.

I understand the 6 speed manual has one input shaft and two output shafts and I am trying to understand which shafts fog the transmission to keep it lubricated. No answer on that yet. So far Remco says no problem (with disclaimers), Blue Ox the same, Roadmaster selling base plate parts (referred me to Remco) and Mini manual is pretty unclear on Manual transmission (very clear on automatic).

I have yet to hear a comment that anyone towing flat towing a Mini has actually had a problem.

Would like to tow a Mini but also not looking for problems.

I may be sensitive but often suspect the legal department is behind either the words or the lack of words, remembering you don't have to explain what you don't say.

What have you heard on issues with towing a Mini with a 6 speed manual transmission? I like the car and good weight to tow behind Itasca Navion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.