Engine Serial Number - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > All Models & Variants > General Discussion

General Discussion Use this forum to discuss MINI topics which are not related to other forums. Posts may be moved from here to alternative forums by the moderators without notice

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TWINI - Twin engine R53 Endurance Race Car pooper MINI in Motorsport 2 Aug 26th, 2014 11:37 PM
is my engine overheating or am i just paranoid? emirius Second Generation Faults & Fixes 2 Jul 16th, 2013 06:59 AM
R50 engine starts but.. Rally370 First Generation MINI Cooper 4 Apr 18th, 2013 01:53 PM
Cracked engine block? Help please?! rhutch First Generation MINI Cooper 2 Dec 16th, 2012 10:24 PM
BMW three-cylinder MINI engine revealed mab01uk MINI in the Media 1 Oct 9th, 2012 10:42 PM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 07:13 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 10:31 PM
United States
Engine Serial Number

All,

I have a 2005 Mini Convertible. I am military and shipping this vehicle to Turkey. I was told when I get there they will ask me the engine serial number, if I don't have this I can't get my car. I don't know how they can do that...but that's not the point.

Anyway, I found one serial number on the engine block itself on the passenger side, facing out, stamped on the motor itself. I found another one on a plate mounted on the back of the valve cover. If I had to guess I would assume it would be the one stamped on the engine block itself. It is a series of 8 numbers, followed by 2 letters a space and then another number.

Example: 11223344AB C

Any thoughts?

Thank You,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 07:52 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MMC Member
Send a message via MSN to DaFlake

United States Male View DaFlake's Pure Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
Sounds to me like they want the VIN...

I would contact your sponsor for more specific information. If it is like Germany, the Military will have a registration process for US personnel.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 04:52 AM
MINI2 Premium Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 04:31 AM
England Male View Snowie's Thunder Blue & Silver 1st Gen MINI Cooper S JCW GP Profile
I had the same issue when I was importing a new GP from Sweden to UK - I had the VIN but needed the engine number to complete the import and registration process.
The engine number is very difficult to find on an S - it is well hidden.

Talk to the dealer he can give you the engine number that matches the VIN number, this is all on the BMW system from the build status of your car.

In the UK once the car is registered both VIN and Engine number are on the car registration document - is this not the same in the US

Good luck

In Italy

Thanks for this post from:
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MMC Member

United States Male View DaFlake's Pure Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
That is a good point. I am willing to bet that they can pull it from their database using the key. I would suggest a stop by the dealer and let them look it up.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 06:04 AM
MINI2 Premium Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 04:31 AM
England Male View Snowie's Thunder Blue & Silver 1st Gen MINI Cooper S JCW GP Profile
Quote: Originally Posted by DaFlake (original)
That is a good point. I am willing to bet that they can pull it from their database using the key. I would suggest a stop by the dealer and let them look it up.

In fact when I took the LHD GP to my UK dealer they used the key to set up the cars data in the UK service system. Technology at work

In Italy

Old Apr 4th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MMC Member

Quote: Originally Posted by Snowie (original)
In fact when I took the LHD GP to my UK dealer they used the key to set up the cars data in the UK service system. Technology at work

They do have a pretty good system for tracking the cars information.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 10:46 AM
MINI & other both whine

Local Time: 02:31 AM
United Kingdom Male
The keys hold info in them (in the chip) here's some of it that I know for sure about:
  • The chassis #
  • The present mileage, updated every-time you turn the ignition on / start the MINI.
  • The key # ie, which issue #1, #2, #3 etc...
  • The chip # used too start the MINI, this is encrypted, hence key shops cant read the key chip No (although this changes all the time technology etc...).
  • 1st Gen pre face-lift the key a remote circuits where separate although in the same key, 1st Gen face-lift is all on the same circuit so it could hold the remote data as-well.
  • Year & date of MINI

Some info can be read at the desk as they have key-readers fitted too the desk at reception, the mileage isn't always what's on the speedo as the speedo can easily be changed fooling a prospective buyer etc... etc... but not fooling anyone with the right equipment (again changing all the time).

Also I think the key will show up limited data when read from the desk but the rest can be accessed with better equipment .

To give advice on the engine # as you look at the engine from the front of the MINI facing rear-wards the engine # is on the rear of the eng block at the rear left facing the bulk-head where the engine mount bolts too the block (if you look near the oil filter housing you're in the right area) not normally visible after a couple of years without cleaning, however it is also located on a white sticker in a similar place on the rear right of the rocker cover however this # is almost identical but it usually has a # or a letter different (I'm not sure why) than what is on the actual engine block, this is easily noticeable as it's on a large white sticker with a bar-code on-it .

There's two #'s on the sticker it's the long one starting with W10B 16 (engine code), then mine has a combination of 8 # & letters, it's that last combination of letters & #'s that's the engine # on my actual log-book . as I said 1 # or letter is usually different on the previous #'s to what is actually stamped on the engine block, I know the W10B 16 is the engine code & different on Ss (W11B 16), providing the rocker cover hasn't been changed this info should be correct .

On the tag sticker with my ID on it under the bonnet the engine code is actually W10B 16A, the A may account for the extra letter / # that I've been going on about .

This advice is for 1st Gen 1.6 petrol engines only .

Destined to live life 5 behind. Disclaimer Any advice given is my opinion only, if you decide to act on any advice / info I've given, it's at your own risk!

Last edited by Randall Raines; Apr 4th, 2008 at 04:01 PM. Reason: added last paragraph to clear things up. ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: