MINI Cooper Forum banner

exhaust manifold glowing red on cooper s

23K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  hassanov 
#1 ·
hello! has any1 ever noticed there exhaust manifold golwing red after giving the car some stick!

#4 ·
Blimey, the only time I see exhaust system glowing red is when I'm doing engine power tests for manufacturers and the engines are being approved.

They sit at max revs for a very long time in order to create the power curves and then they glow red some even make it to being white hot!

If you're getting yours to glow you must be sat on the red line all day!!!!

#10 ·
This happens especially with aftermarket manifolds , the engine is running on the rich side and fuel is being burnt in the manifold causing the glowing
It can over time cause a premature cat fail and or oxy sensor to give incorrect reading and run richer compounding the glowing
My own car manifold glows bright red after 5 mins running ,but that is down to the tune in it
Often glowing manifolds are associated with lean running but the MINI it is usually down to the reverse situation

#13 ·
Due to the fact i was racing a civic type R for 10 mins and my car is de-cat straight through exhaust!!! :p

Was immense, looking our rear view mirror to see sparks coming up!! There have been loads of times, on mini runs when mates are behind they often see some flamage!! Its well worth getting de-cat!!! Kill the environment, make noise AND get flames!! Perfect - pmsl!

#15 ·
Hi Guys,

I have a Cooper s 2003 R53. Since i bought it i have issues with it. Most recent is the manifold is getting red hot on RPM higher than 3500. In idle work is just getting very hot.
I took it to 2 different garages over here and they are all claiming that everything is normal with the car.

In the 1st garage they thought its the manifold so i got another manifold (used one) together with the sensors which they changed and again is showing the same issue.

The garages are telling me that per the diagnosis all seems fine (timing, valves)

Can someone advise what to do im getting super annoyed on this car.

Thank you

#17 ·
Mine just started glowing red and threw an ICS code for high idle from throttle valve. Never noticed before code.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.