MINI Cooper Forum banner

2011 JCW Steering Wheel will not unlock

10K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Shara 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

first of all, Congratulations on the great Forum, very informative.

I wonder if any of you could help with my problem.

I have a 2011 JCW with 10K miles.

Today tried to start it and nothing. I insert the key, lights come on, push clutch pedal, push on/off button and then nothing happens.

I've got the yellow "Steering wheel locked" sign on the dash and on the center screen it says that I have to move the steering wheel in order to unlock it and make the engine start.

I've tried moving the steering wheel in all different directions, but it won't move or unlock.

Tried disconnecting the battery for several hours and that did not work also.

I parked the car with the wheels in the straight position.

i don't know what else I can do. THe car is parked in my apartment garage so i can't even tow it to the dealer because there is not enough height to the tow truck come inside and get my car.

Thanks very much guys, appreciate all the help you can give me.

Greetings from Brazil.

See less See more
#4 ·
Yes, I tried moving the steering wheel in every possible direction like the it appears in the center dash screen.

I even tried adjusting the height :) , but nothing.

Normally the lock would disengage after inserting the key and steering the wheel with minor force, but now it just won´t.

I checked steering wheel related fuses and they are ok. Maybe a faulty relay ?

Does anyone else know what I could try ? Tech guy from dealership is coming to scan with the computer, but he can´t make until Monday morning :( .

THis is a second hand car. Called the previous owner and he said that it never happended to him before. Service history is ok.

I only have this car for 200 miles :( . Good thing its under warranty.

#6 ·
Update...

Today tried once again.

Had a friend pulling the steering wheel from outside the car and me pushing it left from inside, suddenly heard a noise and it unlocked!! :)

Of course I will have this checked out because it obviously shouldn't require two people to unlock a steering wheel.

Thanks guy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.