MINI Cooper Forum banner

Key/Fob Button for Boot

11K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  san25 
#1 ·
On my new MINI (R59) if I press the button on the fob for boot access it doesn't work if the car doors are locked. Ironically it does if the car is unlocked (I hear the click) but the boot is already unlocked!

The manual says this may be the case in certain "national markets" but it always worked on my previous MINI (R52). Has there been a shift of policy for the UK? :puzzled:

#2 ·
I have an R57 and have the same issue, can't open the boot with the key fob, unless I have set the fob to just open the drivers door and when that is open it will then open the boot.

My manual also says that pressing the boot open key on the fob for more than 2 seconds will set the alarm off but that does not seem to work.

#3 ·
Mystery Solved

I spoke to the dealer - apparently they stopped it after too many people were opening the boot with the button putting in their stuff but also putting in their keys and getting locked out.

Not something I did in 6 years with my previous car but I guess I can see me doing it sometime! Oh well.

#7 ·
I have a mini clubman 2013. If I press the tailgate button, nothing happens. If I unlock the doors the boot is unlocked also so I have no need to use the tailgate button. I thought if I pressed the tailgate button while the car was locked it would unlock the boot independently? but no it doesn't, so I am confused as to what this button is for. If I press it after the car is unlocked which automatically unlocks the boot I hear a click but nothing further happens I still have to lift the mini badge to open the boot. So the tailgate button appears to be completely redundant.
I would just like to know whether it should unlock the boot while the car is locked or at least have a function for something?
Thanks in advance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.