MINI Cooper Forum banner

oil light @ low rpm.

37K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Binamin 
#1 ·
i have had my mini one for about three months had no issues , but today the oil light seems to come on at low rpm , when driving normal its not a problem at all .

any help would be great . Daz

#6 ·
i would like to add , that when i bought the mini three months ago they gave it an oil change , i have done about 800 miles since, and just today im having this oil light problem , i have read that sometimes when doing a service they throw away a part that need to be replaced , could this be the problem even after doing 800 miles after the service ?

#9 ·
Do you know the history of the oil filter fitted as there can be a low oil pressure issue with some Mini filters......

"If your oil light comes on sometimes after an oil change check this:
The early MINI with production dates up to 07/2004 has a couple extra pieces inside the oil filter cannister cover - a spring and plastic cage. These items were eliminated on the later models after 07/2004. The oil filter specification with the initial production of the MINI required a 'paper filter' which necessitated a plastic cage in the cannister cover which prevent the filter from collapsing under pressure. For this reason, the early production MINIs have a spring loaded plastic 'cage' built into the oil filter cannister cover. This 'cage' provides a rigid structure within the filter to maintain its shape under pressure. The cage also helps to 'seal' the top of the filter for proper oil circulation thru the filter.
The early 'all paper' oil filters designed for use with the caged cover did not have any internal support structure (or 'built-in' cage). BE CAREFUL when purchasing aftermarket oil filters as there are still some of these 'uncaged' filters in the market."
More details here:
MINI (02-04) Oil Filter Confusion / Problem / Hints - MINI Cooper

Also check the wiring to the oil pressure sensor for any chaffing as there have been cases of the cable shorting out to metal when the engine rocks on its mountings, so switching on the oil light.

#11 ·
The Mann filter should be ok, as this is in the link above:

The solution...

If you find a loose spring with the oil filter without the plastic cage, get the later model cannister cover (NME7635 ) to ensure proper filtration. YES, you can use the later cannister cover with the earlier base.

Make sure the new oil filter has the plastic cage 'built-in'. You will be safe with the factory filter (NME1050 ) or the MANN filter (NME1056 ).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.