MINI Cooper Forum banner

Noise, Noise, Noise

6K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  marwanwafa 
#1 ·
My 2007 Mini R56 has a bumpity, bumpity, bumpity noise coming from the rear...not at hi-speed...only when moving slowly. Maybe I don't 'hear' it at hi speeds and it's still there?...Well, as it drives me crazy (crazier than I normally am) I bought 4 new tires (got away from the runflats) and the car drives much better with great handling, less bouncing around, less overall noise, etc. etc. etc.....but still, 'bumpity, bumpity, bumpity....on relatively smooth pavement at slow speeds. Its's not a constant bump bump but rather intermittent as the car rolls over an imperfection in the roadbed..like something is loose or rattling.
My mechanic tried to duplicate the sound by 'bouncing the rear-end up and down but nothing, zilch, zip, nada!....He thinks it might be rear wheel bearings ? I know nothing about these things....sooooo, has anyone had any experience with bumpity, bumpity sounds coming from the rear of car??

#2 ·
Funny enough i have the same issue, I tightened the bracket in the boot holding the space saver wheel in place, as it was loose and was rattling around! Thought i had solved the problem.....its still there! I am going to have the shocks checked, maybe its them????

#3 ·
MBMini: Great minds think alike...the first thing I did was tighten and retighten and tighten again the spare....it did remove some of the rattling around and I reall thought I solved the problem too:(.....but no!
I then found some more noise and push the rear seat backs tightly into upright position so they were properly snapped into place...again helped somewhat but alas...still the bumpity noise:mad:.....

Please let me know if the shocks (expensive?) problem is the problem...mine seem to be alright as far as resistance when driving with passenger in rear but perhaps a problem, I don't know? :confused:

I'm sure there are more mini owners with this problem so between all of us perhaps we can zone in on the cause and provide a reasonable solution:aargh:

#6 ·
Nun:...I had the car on a lift at mechanics shop...three men were pushing, shoving. hitting, tugging...all trying to see if anything (exhaust pipe etc.) would or could move and bang or bump or even just touch something else....no nothing at all....I was quite impressed by how tight all seemed to be!

I went so far as to 'pad' the spare tire in the boot under the car, so the rubber of the tire would be padded as to soften the 'rub' iif the tire were to be the problem..nope, a waste of time and effort....

Thank you for your suggestion though...I only wish it were that...:puzzled:

#7 ·
@Teddy Boy - My MINI had a new exhaused fitted just before i got it, but it has to go for an oil service soon so I will ask them to check the shocks, (the car is still under motorplan, so no expense to me!), exhaust.....etc for the cause. Will let you know.

#11 ·
Just got back from an open road trip to country...about 300 miles.....mini drove great...flying under the radar here, hitting 90 + while passing and the car loves to run fast.....no noise, bumpity not heard at faster speeds...only when going slow...under 40mph.....bumpity, bumpity.....I'll get to the bottom of this if it's the last thing I do...:mad:

#16 ·
It will be the anti roll bar bushes, it's a common problem. My car had the exact same problem, drove me mad for 6 months. Eventually found the cause by me lying under the car and someone violently rocking the car, you can feel the anti roll bar erm.. what's the word.. Moving and making its bunpity noise.
Really easy to swap. There is one each side, just take the wheel off and with a 13mm socket undo the 2 bolts holding them in and swap. Mine were about £7 from the dealer.

Don't go by what the old bushes look like, mine looked in perfect condition but were ****ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.