MINI Cooper Forum banner

2012 Cooper S clutch

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  bowmankelley 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 Cooper S 6 spd manual and I am having clutch problems. The dealer did my first oil change yesterday at 10,000 miles and informed me that my clutch was ALREADY starting to go which I think is insane:aargh:. My 2006 Cooper S was in my possession 3 years and I never had a clutch issue. The mechanic says I have to shift out of first gear by 1500rpm max or I am damaging the clutch because of the higher torque on the S model. This is practically impossible right? Idle is 900-1000rpm so I barely touch the gas and I am over 1500rpm. Anyone have any ideas, is this a common problem or is it really me actually damaging the clutch my shift out of first about 1900-2000rpm? Would this premature wear be covered by warranty because the clutch is not designed for the torque. I am not a mechanic so any input is appreciated:confused:

#4 ·
I am not a mechanic but I recently had a clutch replacement at 19,000 miles on a 2010 Cooper S due to the Flywheel being stuck on (so they said) which caused premature wear - similar damage you would cause if riding the clutch.

The clutch had not gone it just was very heavy and a almost non-existent biting point.

Luckily due to the flywheel problem mine was covered under warranty but had to agree to a £750 labour charge to strip it down which would be payable had they found it to be "driver error".

Stressful times!

#6 ·
(RSchleder) The mechanic in question is the MINI dealership mechanic, you would think he would know.

He says its not their issue or a warranty thing its my use of the clutch but others seem to be having the issue too? I guess its a mechanical item they won't admit to so they won't have to replace it. Thanks for the help I appreciate it

#7 ·
a damaged/faulty/failing DMF can take the clutch out..

http://www.valeoservice.com/data/master/webfile/19835431504AD33F8566078.pdf

The mechanic says I have to shift out of first gear by 1500rpm max or I am damaging the clutch because of the higher torque on the S model...<<< guys a clown who ever said this..

ella you should NOT have to pay for this,fight this all the way..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.