minis what they like in the snow - Page 2 - MINI Cooper Forum

General Discussion Use this forum to discuss MINI topics which are not related to other forums. Posts may be moved from here to alternative forums by the moderators without notice

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2013, 10:33 AM
MINI2 Regular
Local Time: 03:58 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My countryman S All4 auto on standard 18" run flats is very good in snow. I certainly made it up snow covered hills that other front wheel drive cars could not. I don't know how much of this is just sensible driving in line with the road conditions and how much is the car.

Does anyone know anything about the 4WD system used on the All4. I have had Audi's with Quattro 4WD and land rover/ range rovers and knew a little bit about how the 4WD systems worked but on the CM All4 I have no idea. For example is there any locking of the differentials, how quickly does the system send power to the wheels that have grip?

The auto in my CM is awful though, it keeps changing gear when I don't want it to even in manual mode it just waits 30 seconds or so and takes over, really not impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using App
Sponsored Links
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2013, 02:15 PM
MINI2 Master
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

United Kingdom
What I want is some shoes with winter tyre soles.

No problem to drive to a job today on winter tyres but walking down their steep drive on my commando-sole country gentleman's shoes (Gore-Tex lined - lush) was ghastly.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2013, 03:26 PM
MINI2 Newbie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom
My R53 on 17" has been fine in the snow. Pulling away on inclines can be a little tricky but taking it nice and easy has been fine. Only issue I have found is the front bumper is low and can act like a snow plough at times, but most of time no problem at all.
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.