MINI Cooper Forum banner

R56 Sticky sunroof when car is stationary. BMW says replace!?

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Mid Life Mini 
#1 ·
Have got a bit of a sticky problem with my R56 sunroof and looking for some advise.

The Sunroof has recently developed the problem of not being able to open when stationary unless pushing the glass upwards... But when driving at 30mph plus opens fine...

Have tried simply lubricanting in all the right places but with no affect....

Having paid BMW James Stephen in Sidcup Kent £109 for a diagnoses into the problem to be told it needs a new sunroof at a cost of £2700. Pretty useless as usual.

Have owned a R54 with the sunroof in constant use for the last 5 years I can't help feeling really let down by my new Dooper and really would appreciate any advise at all....

Many thanks in advance....

#3 ·
What year is your car? Mine doesn't have a problem in cooler weather but in warmer weather the rubbers tend to expand and make it harder for the sunroof to open so it needs a bit more force. My solution was to grease everything up and lighty grease the rubbers too but I'd don't know if this is your issue and if you are experiencing the problem in heat. You must be abroad if you are opening your sunroof in January!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#5 · (Edited)
LOL@The Nun

It's a 2008.... got it in the summer and went on a road trip to Tuscany Problem free...

It's madness but anything over 8 degrees its open.... Wintersun drive, coat on, sunroof's down... Lush! :nice:

It doesn't open even if the engine is running and stationary without the push of the glass.... its such a shame when your showing off your pride and joy....

One suggestion from BMW was that it was just never used by the previous owner which is the corse of the problem....

Whatever the reasons I can live with it as the sunroof works within reason, but just one of those really annoying problems I'd love to get sorted....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.