MINI Cooper Forum banner

Mini 2006 - First Gen - Stereo System / Bluetooth / Controls

5K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  holycow 
#1 ·
Hi guys.

I am just starting my research on this topic, I would like to get some experienced opinions on what I would like to accomplish:

1) PROBLEM: I bought my car used, best buy ever, I am up to 200 000km already and its going strong. Unfortunately, I have outgrown my stereo system / media / bluetooth requirements.

Car has the following:

* factory stereo
* iPod connector routed into the glove box
* no bluetooth (original owner opted out)

2) MY GOAL:

* kill the iPod connection (Apple ... ugh).
* remove the stereo
* replace the stereo unit with a single board computer running Linux for multimedia, bluetooth, wireless connectivity, vpn, etc.

3) QUESTIONS:

a) In a 2006 (1st gen), do any of the digital displays in the speedometer depend on the stereo being plugged in?

I have seen a video for a stero upgrade in a 2009 mini, and, not only did he have to remove a giant amount of the dashboard, the electronic lcd units in his speedomoeter circle stopped working when he yanked the factory stereo.

Does the 2006 mini depend on the same type of stereo connectivity or does it get its information directly from the body control unit or some other computer?

b) Currently, my mini does not have bluetooth. Not a huge loss really. However, I would like to find out how I can "access" the signals generated by the bluetooth/phone buttons on the left hand side of the steering column.

Are they routed via the giant cupling cable attachment that plugs into the back of the stock radio system?

My left hand radio selection buttons work great, just not the bluetooth/phone buttons. My thinking is that if the feature is turned off in the radio and not a wiring issue (i.e. the wiring is in the wiring harness already), I might be able to do a bit of troubleshooting to figure out how to use those buttons on my new unit.

c) Above are really my main two concerns. The rest is just standard reverse engineering. My last question revolves around a quote that a Mini mechanic said to me once:

"Because my Mini did not come with a bluetooth system, I cannot now get one installed."

From his perspective, I think he meant that he could not install the stock bluetooth components because the 'wiring was live'.

What did he mean by that? What do I need to know about the electronics system in the Mini vis a vis the statement from the Mini technician?

I suspect that he might have been referring to the fact that the electronic system on the mini is always on ... making the addition of a bluetooth system not done in factory difficult not only physically but electronically.

If I can connect the channel selector + bluetooth/phone buttons to a controller, I can power them via usb on the pc. I just don't want to hose the car electronics in an unpredictable way.

Any tips and thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks.

Robert

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.