MINI Cooper Forum banner

Oil question, 52 plate mini cooper S, help a newbie!

7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  mab01uk 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Ive recently bought a Mini Cooper S which i absoluely LOVE!!! However, I have a problem, which may be really really stupid, but i just cant figure it out... I need to top up my oil in Mya (my mini) however, i cant tell how much oil is actually in there?? The dip stick has a yellow "blob" on the end and has been dyed by the oil over the years.. i cant tell how much oil is in there and i dont know how much oil ive put in? i dont want to over fill her, so each week i have been putting in oil gradually..

Please can anyone help??

thank you, Lisa x

#4 ·
How much...?

Im asking how much to put in and how can i tell how much is in there?? I have wiped the stick etc but it just isnt clear how much is acutally in there! My oil light has now come on so i will be putting more in i just cant tell how much is acutally in there! dont particularly want to keep topping her up every week as shes using SO much oil - could be oil filter collapsed maybe?

#5 · (Edited)
....My oil light has now come on so i will be putting more in i just cant tell how much is acutally in there!
Hi, The fact that your oil light has come on is pretty serious - actually VERY serious, as it would generally only come on when there is almost no oil left in the engine!!
An engine with no oil is not far away from death - I speak from the experience of my oil running out & thinking that the strange rumbling noise was a hole in the exhaust.
£2000+ for a replacement engine later & I now check the oil every 500 miles. :eek:

If indeed almost empty, then you want to top it up immediately with around 4 litres of oil & then recheck the dipstick (with the car on level ground).
When removed, 1st give the stick a wipe with a paper towel - reinsert & remove again & look for some sign of oil - you should see something even if stick is otherwise dirty.

.....could be oil filter collapsed maybe?
No - as the oil would still be in circulation, if not being filtered correctly

So unless you want a massive bill, spend £20 on some 0/30 or 5/30 oil & be prepared to top up every so often .
Assuming its not a leak - The engine does tend to burn through a bit of oil after 6/7 years old, - its one of those things you can either live with, or spend a fortune to put right.
:)

#7 ·
It sounds like I have a hole in my exhaust!!!! I use 5/30 oil at the mo, I put in 1 litre tonight but I'm guessing that's no where near enough now!!!! I don't really want a HUGE bill to be honest, especially after I've just bought the car !!!! It has it's service history.. And has recently just had one according to the records. She had a safety check from a garage after I bought it and they said all was fine and they said they can do a full service for £150 and make sure everything is good etc but I've no idea!! Haha. Thank you for your advice!

#8 · (Edited)
....It has it's service history.. And has recently just had one according to the records....
Unfortunately, Having a service history & also having had a recent service, will have done nothing to stop the car either burning or leaking oil as it seems to be doing.

You're right in thinking that a 1 litre top-up is probably not enough - better than nothing I suppose, but a good oil supply is absolutely vital to stop damage to the engine.

You dont have to spend a fortune on a top oil brand >> £20 for 5Litres 5W30 at Amazon

#10 ·
...possibly a stupid question but to clean the dipstick can I wash it or am I only allowed to wipe it clean??
Sure, feel free to wash it with anything from 'civit bang' to 'nail varnish remover'
Just so long as its wiped dry before sticking it back in the engine.
btw - the 'long rod' part is made from fibreglass which is sometimes prone to breaking - so if it gets stuck while pushing it back, just ease off the pressure & give it a bit of a twist.
Im on my second - new ones cost around £17- I think
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.