high pressure fuel pump leak and head office lies! - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > All Models & Variants > General Discussion

General Discussion Use this forum to discuss MINI topics which are not related to other forums. Posts may be moved from here to alternative forums by the moderators without notice

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 04:24 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 10:27 AM
United Kingdom
Angry high pressure fuel pump leak and head office lies!

I have an R56 that is affected by the high pressure fuel pump failure, that was apparent on early models and those up to 2009.
In America BMW Mini have held their hands up and admitted that this serious issue exists and have given a 10 year 120,000 mile extended warranty so that owners are not in anyway penalised for the item that was not fit for purpose and could cause a potential risk to drivers and occupants.

Having read on many forums such as Mini2 and NAM I contacted head office,
The following is a transcript of the emails sent and received.

Have you been affected? have you been fobbed off? if all of those that have been get together and make this public then perhaps we can stop the lying and get the same warranty as the Americans.

Date: 22 November 2013 15:32:17 GMT
To: <tim.abbott@bmw.co.uk>
Subject: Mini Cooper S safety issue

Dear Tim,

I find myself writing this email in a very troubled state, and hope that you will be able to help rectify what is no doubt a very serious safety issue.

I recently purchased a 2006 Mini Cooper S with just 3500 miles from new, as you can imagine I was very pleased with the car however whilst my wife was driving it yesterday she started to smell petrol coming from the vents and became nauseous to the point of having to pull over and wait with the car and children until I could get the car recovered.

The car is now on my drive and I have been trying to find the cause, I looked on the internet and have found that there was a problem with the early models

http://www.mini2.com/forum/second-ge...fuel-pump.html
MotoringFile Archive BMW Recalls Fuel Pumps. MINI Does Not.

The car is booked in at cooper bmw chelmsford on monday 25th for another recall (I believe it is a small metal plate between the turbo and a hose), I hope that you can appreciate from the forum posts I am wary of my wife or myself driving the car there as I fear I could end up in flames!.

If you would be so kind as to advise how best to proceed with this I would be grateful, I hope that you will be able to arrange for the issue to be looked at and repaired under warranty/gesture of good will as it is a know issue.

the Vin number is WMWMF720******** reg *** ***

Sent with my kindest regards and without malice.

On 26 November 2013 14:02, <Joanne.Grierson@bmw.co.uk> wrote:
Dear Mr Burgess

Thank you for your email dated November 22, 2013, addressed to Mr Tim Abbott, Managing Director, BMW Group UK, regarding your MINI Cooper S. I am sorry to learn of the fault you have experienced and that this has caused you to contact us.

I understand from your correspondence that you believe the concern with your vehicle can be attributed to the high pressure fuel pump. Whilst I have appreciate that you have sourced information online that indicates this to be the case, I would like to assure you that we are not aware of a particular defect with the high pressure fuel pump within our MINI model range.

I have taken the opportunity to discuss your concerns with Mr Chris Oscroft, Service Manager, Cooper Chelmsford. Mr Oscroft explained that your vehicle visited them yesterday for a recall to be conducted and that you did state that you felt there could be a fault with the high pressure fuel pump, however, there was no time for a diagnosis to be completed. I would recommend that you arrange for Cooper Chelmsford to investigate this matter for you, as our dealer network are perfectly placed to rectify any issues with our vehicles.

Further to the above, I have noted your request that we assist with the costs associated with this repair. I can advise that when a vehicle has no valid warranty policy, we are able to look at cases in line with our goodwill policy. Certain factors are considered including the age, mileage and service history of the vehicle as well as customer who have extended their warranty policies, by way of a MINI Insured Warranty. It is with regret that we are unable to offer assistance with your MINI, due to age of your vehicle and as there has been no valid MINI warranty since December 2009.

Once again, I am sorry that you have had cause to contact us and that we are unable to meet with your request on this occasion.

Yours sincerely,

BMW Group UK
Jo Grierson
Customer Service Manager
Customer Service - B1-UK-A-7
Ellesfield Avenue
Bracknell RG12 8TA

Tel: +44 (0)1344 480 954
Fax : +44(0)1344 359 956
Mail: joanne.grierson@bmw.co.uk
Web: http: New Cars | Award Winning Luxury Cars 2013 | BMW

Sent: 28 November 2013 16:31
To: Abbott Tim, B1-UK
Subject: Fwd: Mini Cooper S safety issue [SRNUMBER=1-13485155664]

Dear Tim,

I have received an email from Jo (copy of email pasted below) and to be honest feel that I must bring something to your attention, in your email you advised that Jo would be working on your behalf to help to find a solution however that has not occurred, she has instead chosen to deny any such problems exist with any vehicle in the Mini range.

I find it upsetting that as your representative she says " we are not aware of a particular defect with the high pressure fuel pump within our MINI model range", however a quick look at the following link
R56 High Pressure Fuel Pump Warranty Extension - Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums
would seriously suggest otherwise, she also mentions the age and mileage of the vehicle it is well within 10 years and the mileage is less than 3500 (with full mini service history).

I can understand her desire to deny faults (every manufacturer seems to do the same), however given the clear evidence to the contrary and the fact that she has stated the company are unaware of the issue I now feel that she is being dishonest to a factual degree (intentionally or not) and feel that something should be done least of all an apology for the blatant lie on her part and also for needlesly putting profit before the safety of my family, but more importantly the repair should be carried out at cost to BMW.

I hope that you can personally assist me and that we can resolve this amicably.

Kindest regards and without malice

Shane
Mr Burgess

Thank you for your email dated November 28, 2013, addressed to Mr Tim Abbott, Managing Director, BMW Group UK. Your email has been passed to me to respond to as I have corresponded with you.

I acknowledge that you remain dissatisfied with my previous response and I note that you have carried out research on the Internet into the high pressure fuel pump. I can confirm that we are aware of the information located on the Internet, however as this is not moderated the full information may not be taken into account. When we review any gesture of goodwill, we review each case individually and we take into account the full circumstances.

In relation to the information provided previously, I can confirm that this is correct and I have not been dishonest with my response. We have not issued a recall on the high pressure fuel pump. I have reviewed your case further and I can confirm that our position remains unchanged due to the age and mileage of your vehicle.

In closing, I am sorry that you have had further cause to contact us and I trust that the above information clarifies our position on this matter.

Yours sincerely,

BMW Group UK
Jo Grierson
Customer Service Manager
Customer Service - B1-UK-A-7
Ellesfield Avenue
Bracknell RG12 8TA

Tel: +44 (0)1344 480 954
Fax : +44(0)1344 359 956
Mail: joanne.grierson@bmw.co.uk
Web: http: New Cars | Award Winning Luxury Cars 2013 | BMW
Sponsored Links