Buying a used mini..advice needed! - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > All Models & Variants > General Discussion

General Discussion Use this forum to discuss MINI topics which are not related to other forums. Posts may be moved from here to alternative forums by the moderators without notice

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini HQ - Terrible ethics for the customer. jobforacowgirl Dealership Feedback 10 Feb 12th, 2014 04:57 PM
Brooklands Mini Day Sunday, March 24, 2013 mab01uk Mini Events 11 Apr 5th, 2013 06:11 PM
Advice for buying used mini S cnmcalpi General Discussion 1 Mar 3rd, 2013 09:23 AM
Buying a new car for the first time and Im thinking Mini... but i need advice morethanthis General Discussion 2 Oct 8th, 2012 01:06 AM
Mini Australia service chilld Dealership Feedback 4 Sep 4th, 2012 05:29 AM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Dec 16th, 2013, 12:20 AM
MrP123

Local Time: 01:54 PM
United Kingdom Male
Buying a used mini..advice needed!

Hi guys! I'm a newbie to the forum in the UK so I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong place but I've recently passed my driving test about 2 months ago and am looking in the way of buying a mini. Always loved the look of them when I've seen them on the road but never thought I would actually get one but here I am now . I had a few questions, sorry if they sound noobish but hey I'm here to learn

1) Preferably I want to get one with a JCW kit and alloys, maybe spot lights...is a used one better to get for a first car or should I go down the new car route?

2) I've seen a few great looking ones I'd be interested in under the approved used minis section on the mini website..or should I go for private sellers?

3) Because the JCW kit and alloys etc would count as modifications on insurance and definitely bump up the premium (also I'm 22yrs old so would be looked down upon from the get go too!) does anyone know of any good insurers I could have a look at? Any of you younger mini drivers had good/bad experiences with the mini insurance company?

Answers, contributions and comments to any of the questions (or just anything helpful for a new driver like me to consider) would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 16th, 2013, 03:39 PM
JCW 250

Local Time: 02:54 PM
United Kingdom Male View Keano's Solid Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Keano's Classified Ads
Quote: Originally Posted by MrP123 (original)
Hi guys! I'm a newbie to the forum in the UK so I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong place but I've recently passed my driving test about 2 months ago and am looking in the way of buying a mini. Always loved the look of them when I've seen them on the road but never thought I would actually get one but here I am now . I had a few questions, sorry if they sound noobish but hey I'm here to learn

1) Preferably I want to get one with a JCW kit and alloys, maybe spot lights...is a used one better to get for a first car or should I go down the new car route?

2) I've seen a few great looking ones I'd be interested in under the approved used minis section on the mini website..or should I go for private sellers?

3) Because the JCW kit and alloys etc would count as modifications on insurance and definitely bump up the premium (also I'm 22yrs old so would be looked down upon from the get go too!) does anyone know of any good insurers I could have a look at? Any of you younger mini drivers had good/bad experiences with the mini insurance company?

Answers, contributions and comments to any of the questions (or just anything helpful for a new driver like me to consider) would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance

A lot of these questions depend on your budget. If you want new and you have a budget for it then sure go for it, but if you don't then thats that answered... iygwim...

Are you looking at the second gen for used too or would consider 1st gen if going used? I always found brand new was far too expensive and couldn't stomach the depreciation costs so went cherished - again comes down to budget...

1. Do you mean JCW tuning kit or Bodykit? Both will need to be declaired for your insurance - whether this affects the premium will depend on the insurer but generally speaking it will indeed increase the costs (my modded 1st gen cost the same as a standard M3 would have for example, while without mods it was considerably cheaper). Depends on circumstances.

2. Depends on which one you go for: 1st gen I would happily buy private but 2nd gen I would want warranty so would have to be main dealer (that being said I wouldn't ever have another 2nd gen as they are poop IMO).

3. See point 1. Yes it most likely will affect the premium. I insured my 1st gen with the admiral group - they were the cheapest when I was looking but their cover has changed with regards to mods: they want to know about mods but will only pay out to return to stock in the event of a claim, ie you pay more for mods that basically aren't covered.

In short: buy whichever you think suits you most, and that includes driving style and budget... personally, if you're in the position to be considering a brand new mini, I would wait to get a 3rd gen as it will be a lot better than the 2nd gen IMO, may be a while off but I recon they should have some nice offers when first released to get some units moving...

Running 211whp

Old Dec 16th, 2013, 07:30 PM
MINI2 Premium Member
Damned

United Kingdom Male View Restyle's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Restyle's Classified Ads
Agree with all the above - & just to stress that insurance may rocket - especially at your age for the simplest of mods.
I had just the bmw fitted JCW air filter mod - {extra flaps opened when accelerating}, & hardly any insurance companies wanted to know.
Theres only a few who touch modded cars - heres 2 I've dealt with:-
ADRIAN FLUX
GreenLight

As Keano says - are you after the JCW body kit or JCW engine mods? - both expensive to fit & insure - but as long as youve got at least a couple of thousand spare for insurance then should be ok.

Old Dec 16th, 2013, 11:27 PM
MrP123

United Kingdom Male
Thanks for replying guys!

Having thought about it I think I'm most definitely going down the used route (probs with cherished). The depreciation just wouldn't be worth it in my eyes for brand new (not to mention the initial price!) and i'm going to need to use car finance for it anyway.

Also, sorry I should have specified I meant the JCW bodykit not the tuning kit.

To be honest with you I'm not actually sure on what the difference is between the 1st and 2nd gen. Sorry if this is a dumb question but how do I know which is which? And just out of curiosity Keano, why do you say the 2nd gen are poop in your opinion?

Yeah I heard Adrian Flux are good! They seem to come up everywhere on the comparison websites as well as one called Hastings. (But I think I read somewhere they're both owned by the same company anyway unless I'm wrong?) I also had someone on another car forum mention HIC Insurance as they do specific Mini Insurance and looking at the 'sample quotes' it seems cheap. Think I'll give them, Admiral and Adrian Flux a call tomorrow for some prospective quotes
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 08:01 AM
JCW 250

United Kingdom Male View Keano's Solid Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Keano's Classified Ads
This was my first gen, also known as an R53 (supercharged):

This was my second gen, also known as an R56 (turbocharged):

If going cherished, remember to haggle: purchase price and APR can be haggled separately... do lots of reading on this to make sure you don't fall for their marketing - eg they give you a low GMFV saying that way you will have equity for your next car. This is actually so you pay more (ie pay more of the car off than if the GMFV was higher) and when it comes to trade, funnily enough your car will generally only be worth the GMFV, ie no equity anyhow... tread carefully...

The reason I say the 2nd gen is poop is because the engine is crap and destroys itself. Mine tried to kill itself a few times even with comprehensive warranty throughout its life and everything taken care of only by BMW it still tried to eat pistons... mine was an early R56 so the newer ones will be better but again, IMHO be cautious and make sure you get as much warranty as possible...

Running 211whp

Old Dec 17th, 2013, 03:54 PM
MrP123

United Kingdom Male
Ahh ok that's great info mate thanks! I didn't know that Loving the look of your 2nd gen by the way (Y)

I'm actually booked in to see my local dealer tomorrow about financing one I saw on the cherished website and he said he'll go through adding the JCW Bodykit, Alloys and tints with me and I can add it onto the finance. I'm defo not going to buy it tomorrow there and then just wanted to see what they could offer me first. Bit nervous but what sort of questions/things should I be asking/saying to him to haggle price down?

I'm going to look at a Sept 2010 Mini One with 31.5k miles for 9.5k on cherished..I'm going to be looking to add the bodykit, light alloys and tints onto that
Old Dec 18th, 2013, 09:47 AM
JCW 250

Adding those bits from the dealer and putting it on the finance will be an expensive way of getting them... its worthwhile calling round dealers for a fully fitted price on the parts you want to see how the costs compare - give Chris a call at Lloyds MINI in Blackpool to see what prices he can do, he has got MINI bits for me in the past. Knowledge is power so find out how much everything costs before accepting that way you know if you're getting a good deal or not. Take the tyres for example, MINI will probably charge you the earth on tyres for those wheels so worth ringing round to see how much you can get tyres for from normal tyre fitters etc (for example 205/40/18 dunlops for my old r53 were around 160 a corner - MINI gave me a quote of nearly 300 a corner).

In terms of the finance, get a price for a loan and use that to compare the overall costs, APRs and hence value of the finance - MINI will probably be able to get the monthly repayment cost lower but check the overall costs!!

Running 211whp

Old Dec 18th, 2013, 02:24 PM
MrP123

United Kingdom Male
Ok so having been to the dealer earlier today, putting it on finance does indeed seem expensive in total. The total I would be financing has gone up from 9500 for just the car on its own to about 13000 just by putting those bits on there and getting it fitted there!

It is affordable to me monthly (factoring in insurance as well) so I'm not too worried about that but APR I was offered was 13.3% (subject to my finance being accepted but usually they are accepted without a problem he said) with a larger payment at the end of the contract. The dealer also said I could pay it off early as well after a few years if I wanted to and no fee would be charged. Is that a good rate or do you think I'd be better off going through a separate car finance company to pay it off altogether? I don't have an extensive credit history but have had a credit card recently with every month paid off in full no missed payments..would that help much?
Old Dec 18th, 2013, 03:52 PM
JCW 250

IMO that is very high - even the online calculator has an APR of 12.9%.... with the base rate being so low, that's crazy IMO and you should be kicking them in the ******** for a better rate...

Quick comparison of a random car and estimate loan:

MINI select on a mini one @ 9000 over 3 years with 1k deposit is 180/month, 12.9% APR, 11k total cost.

Tesco loan on 10k borrow over 3 years is ~300/month, 5.1% APR and total cost of 10787.

So Tesco you get a grand more to borrow and costs you less than borrowing 1k less from mini - downside being its costs an extra 120 a month... you could probably pay off the Tesco loan early too if you wanted so not sure why he is saying that...?

Running 211whp

Sponsored Links
Advertisement