MINI Cooper Forum banner

ABS light, Hand brake light

12K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  copey 
#1 ·
Hi first off, not sure if this is in the correct place so apologies in advance if it isn't

Basically the misses owns a mini one 02 plate, it failed its MOT yday on the ABS light not illuminating, we have only owned the car just under a year so never had an MOT with it before.

Now im guessing the previous owner did something in order to stop these lights working, my guess it due to an ABS fault of somesort

Just wondering if anybody had any idea what could be the cause of these problems, i have checked the fuses they are all intact, did the press the brake pedal and speedo button to check the bulbs and these ones do not light up at all

Thanks Rich

#2 ·
Hi ya

There are I think there are 4 fuses for the abs. Two in you foot well fuse box F18 and F33 then there two under the bonnet FL6 and F06
The brake light on the cluster will only come on with the hand brake applied or you brake res is low.
the hand break switch is located down by the hand break it my be gummed up so it might be worth checking it you will have to pull off the trim to get to it

there is a cluster test you can do to test the lights on the cluster
Have a read of this link fig 35 Ike test you want to do test 2, there is a lot of handy info here for you as well

http://www.bmw-planet.com/lib/mini/BODY ELECTRONICS.pdf

These lights on the cluster are controlled by the body control unit located in the drivers footwell under the trim by the bonnet release, these do suffer from corrosion and cause all kinds of problems, it may be worth disconnecting the plugs having a look at them and the condition of the BCU. Just remember to disconnect the battery

Just a quick thought if the cluster test does not light the lamps, don't go thinking you can just get another cluster and plug it in they need to be coded to the BCU.

Failing that you need to plug it in to a decent diagnostic machine to narrow down the fault

Hope this helps

#4 ·
Hi ya

I would remove the trim and check out the BCU you may be lucky with a bad or dirty connection.
Bare in mind most runs throw the BCU so it would be worth going over the car making shore everything else work all light heated windows fan heater ect

Like I said disconnect the battery disconnect the plugs and give them a good clean up, and check for corrosion and condition of the BCU you may be lucky.
I normally use a spray switch/contact cleaner from maplins

If you end up replacing the BCU it will need to be coded to the car. You can pick one up from ebay or a good breaker
While the battery is disconnected it may be worth checking the connections on the cluster to.

Once it's back together give it another test you may be lucky

This link might be of use to if you need to buzz out some wires
http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f26/bc1-body-control-unit-557/

Hope this helps

#5 ·
well had a check of the clocks to check for a missing bulb, and somebody had placed blu tack over the two bulbs to hide the ABS light and a few others, now I'm wondering if we mis read the diag machine and it was actually SDFS which would be the ABS control unit, would explain the ABS not working and the light being on.

however the drivers side window doesn't work

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.