metal grinding from tyre...! - MINI Cooper Forum

General Discussion Use this forum to discuss MINI topics which are not related to other forums. Posts may be moved from here to alternative forums by the moderators without notice

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2014, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
Local Time: 04:45 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

metal grinding from tyre...!

I have had my 7 year old R56 cooper S for just 4 months and earlier today, i started hearing a metal grinding sound from the passenger side tyre when driving slowly.

Its sounds especially bad when turning and when i reverse as the car sounds in pain and metal scraping is even worse...

The car has only done 30,000 miles (which is one of the reasons i bought it)

any thoughts?.... is it time for my 1st trip to the dealer?

thanks, Clove
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2014, 02:10 AM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male
I would check the brake pads first, they may be down to the metal & grinding on your brake discs
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2014, 08:33 AM
MINI2 Privilege Member
MINI2 Master
Local Time: 05:45 PM
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male
Rubber doesnt make a grinding sound though, I think you mean the wheel, and it could just be a pebble/grit stuck flung up in the top of the caliper or the rear slash shield grinding against the disc.
If the pads are worn right down Id have though the brake pad wear indicator would be lit?
Take the wheel off and spin the hub by hand, you should soon see what the fault is or directly where the noise is coming from.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2014, 06:59 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Hi ya

If you look at this link at item 8 above and below the pads there are shims. There are small tabs which locate the shims in to the carrier item 2
sometimes the pad moves the shim and bends the tabs on the shim and then they rub on the disc and it sounds pretty bad. * BMW R56 Cooper S Rear brake pad wear sensor

If you look from the top and also from the bottom where the disc passes between the pads you may see the tabs bent and rubbing on the disc, I have seen a few of these on r53 and r56.

When it's jacked up check your wheel bearing to also have a good look around the pads to.

If you are not going to do it your self , an independent garage can check this for you or I think kwik fit do free brake inspections just point the tabs out to them and ask them to check it. then if it needs work you can always take it to mini :-)

Hope this helps
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2014, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Hi guys, thanks v much for your sound advice...

i took the car to garage on saturday to have my winter tyres changed to summer tyres and the mechanic had a look at the wheel that was making the grinding sound.

He said that i probably knocked a curb pretty hard (which i don't recall!) but the tabs and plate had moved slightly meaning that it was rubbing against the tyre.

He's adjusted it and now all sounds fine. It's only been a few days but i'm hoping all it now sorted.

Marque - this pretty much sounds like what you describe below - thx.

Once again, really appreciate your help.

Great forum!!!!

Thanks for this post from:
Sponsored Links
Tags: , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.