MINI Cooper Forum banner

oil filter

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  fortunot 
#1 ·
Hi all! I have a 2003 Mini Cooper. I tried the other day to get an oil and filter change. I was told that the filter is seized on and they couldn't get it off without breaking anything. So now I have to drive to BMW many miles away to see if they can get it off. My question is, if something breaks in the process, what parts would they have to order? I hate to take it to BMW because I know it will be a hefty bill. But I took it to two places in town and they tried to get it off and they won't try too hard because they would have to order the parts, which means down-time.
Any thoughts?

Cindy :ugh

#2 ·
Ya Gotta Be Careful With Repair Shops.......

Unless I was their to do it my self I don't know what to really say other than that is one over tight filter. I had one like that once, it was a 94 Nissan Pick Up. I tried my cap wrench, regular filter wrench but finally had to poke a hole through the entire filter with an awl. Then I grabbed the awl, oil filter & rags and twisted like I was trying to flip the truck over. I got it off, WoW it's amazing how tight that oil change place made it. Oil filters are supposed to be a little more than hand tight.

Wish I was their to help ya!!!!!!! :aargh:

#3 ·
Have you tried to undo it when its cold? maybe be easier then, possibly?
Then if it moves you can warm the engine up before removing completely and draining.

In theory in should be easier to remove hot, but you never know, with the expansion and contraction of differing materials?

I suppose the previous time it was done up with a tool as tight as they could get it, it supposed to be done up to a specific torque, normally little more than hand tight so you can actually remove it next time.

#4 · (Edited)
Hi

make shore they are using the correct socket for the job its a shallow hex 36 mm socket if you use anything else you will damage it.

As THE NUN say crack it off when its cold then warm the car up drain the oil some times it may need a quick shape shock just to free it.

please use a original bmw mini filter some after market ones cause problems

worst cases you may need a new oil fitter assy these can be sourced from a breakers or ebay

if they don't want to do it in the car unbolt the complete oil filter housing assy and do it on the bench 3 bolts 1 connector and its off if its an early one if not i think it only two more bolt for the oil cooler

as a guide to what it looks like

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-MINI-...rts_SM&fits=Car+Make:Mini&hash=item2ecf6c314b

easy job :) hope this helps

#7 ·
Hi

make shore they are using the correct socket for the job its a shallow hex 36 mm socket if you use anything else you will damage it.

As THE NUN say crack it off when its cold then warm the car up drain the oil some times it may need a quick shape shock just to free it.

please use a original bmw mini filter some after market ones cause problems

worst cases you may need a new oil fitter assy these can be sourced from a breakers or ebay

if they don't want to do it in the car unbolt the complete oil filter housing assy and do it on the bench 3 bolts 1 connector and its off if its an early one if not i think it only two more bolt for the oil cooler
as a guide to what it looks like

BMW MINI Cooper S Oil Filter Housing & Heat Exchanger R53 R52 | eBay

easy job :) hope this helps
Good advice. I would add using a long 1/2" drive breaker bar (perhaps with an extension) with the
shallow 36mm 6 point socket mentioned above and a hefty dose of persistence.

I've often thought mine was really stuck on good and yet I have always eventually been able to get it to budge.

#8 ·
There is still quit a bit space there so as suggested get 36mm socket and a 600mm breaker bar. I doubt for a second it's seized on, more than likely just gripped a little too much by the rubber seal. Nice steady movement on the bar and you'll have it off in no time, don't snatch and wrench at it.

Most of my cars need a breaker bar on the sump plug or filter even though when fitted they're torqued correctly. It's not uncommon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.