I live in the West Midlands here in the UK, so mid-north location. Moderate snowfall sees me stuck on the drive - I can't even back out the drive and you can forget getting up the slight slope on my street to make it to a main road - I'm stuck with the Mini whenever the snow comes down!
I have an '05 Convertible, petrol. I've had it about 2 years (it's now at 90k miles) and since then have had to do the following (with prices wherever I can recall them):
fully refurbish both gearbox and clutch - despite warranty this cost me £600
- repair leaking water coolant system £60
- replace bushes £40
- replace leaking radiator (dealership picked up that cost)
- replace exhaust (all of it excluding cat portion) - £275 incl. fitting
- repair passenger door which was nearly impossible to open using the door handles from inside or outside - £35
- replace stereo which just stopped working £35 for the replacement, £35 for fitting
- had to replace one of the cables that runs from the gearstick as it was completely loose £200
Advisories to replace:
track rod ends
corroded brake pipes
replace corroded water pump - list price around £225 excl. labour
So that's 24% of the value of the vehicle (based on purchase price 2 yrs ago). That total obviously doesn't include servicing or MOT which is on top.