stop/start - MINI Cooper Forum

General Discussion Use this forum to discuss MINI topics which are not related to other forums. Posts may be moved from here to alternative forums by the moderators without notice

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2014, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 09:08 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Scotland

Scotland stop/start

Hi , my stop start isn't working, I've eliminated all the obvious causes and have narrowed it down to a depleted battery , can you charge your battery with a standard car battery charger ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2014, 02:09 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member
MINI2 Master

Quoted: 50 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty1979 View Post
Hi , my stop start isn't working, I've eliminated all the obvious causes and have narrowed it down to a depleted battery , can you charge your battery with a standard car battery charger ?
Yes you can provided its not on the fast boost setting, a nice steady 2amp for a few hours is best until its fully charged and you dont need to disconnect anything or remove the battery.
Put the red lead on the + terminal of the battery first then the black earth lead on the engine lifting eye at the end of the cam cover, then switch it on and leave it to charge up, overnight is best.

Mind you if your battery is old it might need renewing anyway as the alternator should keep the battery fully charged, unless you do lots of very short journeys with lights on etc.
Still an extra charge wont do any harm.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2014, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Scotland

Thanks , I charged it on fast charge and it didn't work , I will try on the trickle charge over night and if it doesn't work I will get a new battery ,cheers
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2014, 06:03 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

United Kingdom

If trickle-charging it overnight doesn't bring the stop/start back, it's probably not a battery problem.

Don't be surprised if charging up the battery makes the stop/start work but after a few days it goes back to its old ways - that does indicate the battery is 'tired' but by no means at the end of its working life. And it's not worth replacing the battery two years or more before you have to, just to get the stop/start to work.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2014, 10:05 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 08:08 AM

United Kingdom Male

I had a hire fiesta with stop start and don't like it, better than on the Chrysler Ypsilon that was very dim witted. I'd turn it off for a bit, I can't help but think I know it's for the environment but you probably save less in petrol than costs of batteries or alternators problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.