MINI Cooper Forum banner

2007 Cooper D (r56) - How to look after her and what to look for when buying

3K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  hyvrid 
#1 ·
I just found a really looked after low mileage (32k) R56 black cooper D and wanted to ask you all what to look for (already taken it to a mechanic and he gave the go-ahead) as well as how to look after her, to prevent any issues, like fuel and water pumps going bust.

The more info the better!

#4 ·
Check for soot/black marks around the turbo. Sometimes the connection between the turbo and the cat/DPF comes loose and leaks exhaust into the engine bay.

One other check is to take off the intake piping on the compressor side of the turbo and look at the condition of the orange rubber seal. They crack over time and are an easy replace.

Check that there are no leakages around the injectors and make sure the oil was changed at the recommended intervals. Change the oil more frequently than the computer suggests. You'll find that the recommended 20,000km intervals are not realistic. I usually do mine every 12,000km and the oil looks well past its "best before" date - tar black and smelling bad....

Aside from that, the PSA engine doesn't really have other problems.

My Clubman has a 2009 PSA engine that's been trouble free.

#6 ·
In my opinion/experience these engines seem to be pretty low maintenance. I do oil roughly every 12,000km and air filter every 2nd oil change. Usually check the brake/clutch fluid reservoir from time to time and top up as the brakes wear. Honestly, that's about all the car requires in terms of engine service and certainly all I've done in the 5 years I've had the car.

I'm excluding brakes and tire changes which are common to both petrol and diesel engines.

I made a DIY for the orange seal and posted it here:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/mini-cooper-diesel/196206-diy-changing-orange-turbo-seal.html

Note that there is an upgraded part called a "swirl generator" that is only available through a dealership at a cost of about €3. There's a thread about it here:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/mini-cooper-diesel/204506-turbo-intake-seal.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.