MINI Cooper Forum banner

Please help me with my first purchase

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  TheGypseDanger 
#1 ·
Hey everyone this is my first post to this or any forum at all actually so please be nice haha! But anyways I have been doing research looking at and over all came to the conclusion that I WANT A MINI COOPER S really bad haha. I sold my car yesterday and have been looking non stop I think I might have found one but I have a few questions on what exactly to look for before buying. Also its a 2006 and I think its a R53 with the supercharger but I am unsure about how to know if it has been beat or not. Also is the milage to much is another question I have. It is a 2006 Cooper S fully loaded with nav and it has 117xxx miles. Should i but this or look around. Also they are asking 7800:confused:

#6 ·
It's a bit rude just joining a forum then complaining you haven't had an answer

your question was a bit vague and you asked if a car was worth the money without giving any detail about it except the mileage, considering most of the members are not from the US and those who are would not likely to know used car prices then 111 people where not being unhelpful they just couldn't help.

#5 ·
Thats a bit steep for the miles. I would look around some more, a good ratio to follow would be 2004 or newer with 70,000 or less. price should be right around 5,000-10,000 range. A couple questions to ask the seller. Did the previous owner beat it up?(meaning does the trans slip and is the clutch worn out) Has the tranny fluid ever been changed? (redline mtl 75-90) Hows the oil life? (5w-30) Has the coolant ever been changed? (I recommend extended life 5 years or 150,000 miles) Has the supercharger oil ever been serviced? How does the air filter look? Does the rear hatch door leak water after it rains?(IF so check battery in boot box for corrosion.) Look at the tread meat on the tyres. what is the actual fuel consumption factor?( Hold trip button turn key first click tap trip reset button until at number four and wait, fuel consumption will be shown,should be in the range of 25mpg- 31mpg. If its on the lower side chances are you may need to replace injectors coil pack plugs and wires.) Is there rust on the motor mounts? Is the underbody rusted? are there any exhaust leaks? Check these things out, save your pocket from burning like a rocket. =)

#8 ·
In my opinion, when buying a used car, you want to go to the new car dealer of that make and see their "dealer certified used cars" first. This will give you a good idea of prices in your area. Those certified used cars also typically come with a warranty too. I never buy new cars because of the diminished value. I typically buy one that is 2-4 years old with low miles. Good luck and hope you find a MINI that you love. It's a really fun car to drive.

#9 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses. And I am truly sorry I didn't offer up enough information for the question, I am new and had no idea it would offend anyone. As far as the 2006 Mini Cooper S with 117,000 miles goes I spoke with the owner today and asked as many questions as I could and the owner was able to provide me with the car fax and the number to the mini dealer that serviced the car since new in 2006. According to the mini service rep records indicated nothing was wrong and the only issue the customer had was some wires going bad and then got them replaced. The book value even with the mileage says online 8800 and he was asking 7800 so I offered him 7000 cash today and he said he will get back to me. At what point should i call it a loss and keep looking? I know for sure I want a S and wanted one with lower miles but I think 7000 for a S no matter what the milage is, seems like a good deal. But I could be very wrong. The certified pre owned 2006s were selling for around 11000 with a warrenty and mileage around 70000

#11 ·
Honestly I just paid about 8500 for an 05 Cooper S with 98k miles. From Craigslist postings I would say that is pretty much the going rate. A LOT of cars from 05 and up are around 8-9k in New England. This goes from Minis to Hondas to even some American cars. Cars are getting mighty expensive. Especially in the last 5 years or so. Maybe you could find one down south for cheaper and in better shape?

Mine was good except for a couple minor stone dings on the hood and windshield. If you end up getting one beware of the Power Steering Pump. If it hasn't been replaced before 130k then it will not fall under the extended repair warranty from Mini and will be a very expensive fix. After getting it looked at, I also was told it has some worn control arm bushings.

#12 ·
example

I bought my 05 R53 for $12,000 us dollars, £7073.81 british pounds, It had 73,000 Miles full carfax, full service history. 27 days later the clutch failed, after waiting a couple months to gather the funds $1,350 us, £795.80 british pounds, I got it fixed =) haha 12 days later the inlet tube broke =( Im told it was due to improper dismantle of front end? So now im in another $500 us dollars, £294.74 British pounds to the shop. And carless at the moment. I love my Mini to death do us part! and I will never get rid of her. But I say this with lots of passion. If it feels perfect when you drive it, It is the one.:biggrin:

#14 ·
Minis are expensive in the US. Even older used ones do not drop in value, they are a desirable wee car. Plus if you dont live near a big city then work that has to be done by a mini dealer means a fair trek, about 3 hours for me, to the nearest dealer.

There is an 03 mini base manual local to me with 101k I was looking at for my son. Exterior is nice but the interior is trashed, they still want 6500 for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.