To much play in transmission or motor mounts - MINI Cooper Forum

General Discussion Use this forum to discuss MINI topics which are not related to other forums. Posts may be moved from here to alternative forums by the moderators without notice

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2014, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 09:56 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United States

Unhappy To much play in transmission or motor mounts

I have a 2004 Mini Cooper S, Turbo. 5-speed Manual
I can feel major play each time I release the gas pedal and accelerate by applying gas. I thought it was the motor mounts so this weekend I changed the lower motor mount, the upper passenger side motor mount, and the transmission mount on driver side. ( 3 mounts). The excessive play is still there. I am not sure what to do next.
The transmission is not slipping, the car do not vibrate, everything seem good except the looseness in either the engine to transmission connection, or link for transmission to wheels. How can I isolate the problem...Any ideas.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2014, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United States

Not sure what to do next..
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2014, 05:15 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieD View Post
I have a 2004 Mini Cooper S, Turbo. 5-speed Manual
I can feel major play each time I release the gas pedal and accelerate by applying gas. I thought it was the motor mounts so this weekend I changed the lower motor mount, the upper passenger side motor mount, and the transmission mount on driver side. ( 3 mounts). The excessive play is still there. I am not sure what to do next.
The transmission is not slipping, the car do not vibrate, everything seem good except the looseness in either the engine to transmission connection, or link for transmission to wheels. How can I isolate the problem...Any ideas.?

Hi ya

I am abit confused by this post 2004 Mini Cooper s turbo five speed manual is this something you have made your self or someone previous

2004 cooper s is supercharged from factory and has a six speed box
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2014, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by marque View Post
Hi ya

I am abit confused by this post 2004 Mini Cooper s turbo five speed manual is this something you have made your self or someone previous

2004 cooper s is supercharged from factory and has a six speed box
Really?
OK..
My daughter owns a
Black 2004 Cooper S supercharged turbo with a six speed manual with 89045 miles. I am trying to resolve an issue with her car that may lead to future major repairs. Can someone help me with my earlier request?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2014, 05:59 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Really?
OK..
My daughter owns a
Black 2004 Cooper S supercharged turbo with a six speed manual with 89045 miles. I am trying to resolve an issue with her car that may lead to future major repairs. Can someone help me with my earlier request?
Well if it's a standard 2004 MCS and you have changed all three engine mounts.
Two upper. And one lower And the problem is still there places to check are

Check the subframe is bolted up and is not damaged
Check the ball joints
Check the front wish bone rear bushes, when they get bad they can cause problems it's a known week point.
Check your drive shafts for play
Failing that it may be your dual mass flywheel needs replacing this is another know problem.

Hope this helps
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2014, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United States

Tonight,
I plan to lift the car in the front. I will put the car in gear (engine not running). I will turn each wheel forward and backward to see if I can feel any play in the wheel. Not sure if this makes sense. I Google the net trying to find anything that match my symptoms. So far no luck. Everyone only talks about vibration. I feel no vibration while driving. I just feel slack when applying acceleration slow or fast. Like something is loose in the path from engine to wheel.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2014, 07:46 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nshzlJ8bpMQ"]MIni Cooper R53 Clutch Problems - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4qzdAU3gSUE"]Mini Cooper Wishbone Bush play - YouTube[/ame]
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2014, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United States

Car jacked up in air. Only driver front wheel in air. Car in gear not running. The front wheel can turn forward and backward about 2 to 3 inches. Lower car to ground, now raise only passanger front wheel in air. Car in gear not running. This wheel also turns forward and backward about 2 to 3 inches.

Turning forward and backward 2 to 3 inches on each tire had no engaging effect on the engine. But at the end point of the turns caused a slight movement in the engine meaning it engaged. This loose play is what I am talking about.

Any ideas ?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2014, 04:21 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Car jacked up in air. Only driver front wheel in air. Car in gear not running. The front wheel can turn forward and backward about 2 to 3 inches. Lower car to ground, now raise only passanger front wheel in air. Car in gear not running. This wheel also turns forward and backward about 2 to 3 inches.

Turning forward and backward 2 to 3 inches on each tire had no engaging effect on the engine. But at the end point of the turns caused a slight movement in the engine meaning it engaged. This loose play is what I am talking about.

Any ideas ?
This is normal & will be the same on all cars, they all have a bit of free play when in gear. Even if you put all 4 wheels on the ground put it in gear & release the handbrake you will still be able to rock the car back & forth.
Are you sure it isnt just a flat spot when you first hit the accelerator pedal causing a pause then sudden movement like a kind of hiccup
Or like marque said it could be play in the flywheel but that would normally be noisy. Another known failure on the mini is the wishbone bushes at the rear of the front wishbones, they can give excessive play
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2014, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United States

I made plans to let the Mini Cooper service department evaluate the problem on Friday. $99. I hope this is just wear and tear. My reason for trying to solve this problem is the car is driven by my daughter. 100 miles a day round trip to college.
It's hard to describe.
You are driving and long as the engine is loaded turning the wheels, all is good. While car is rolling, if you remove your foot from the gas pedal then give it gas again. You can feel the engine rev up to a slight thump feeling indicating the engine engaged with the wheels. The transmission is not slipping. Only feel problem when apply gas to engine to catch up with the force need to make the wheel roll. I am talk this way because I do not know if the problem is in the engine to transmission or in the transmission to wheel. Its more than normal play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.