I need help with my brakes - MINI Cooper Forum

General Discussion Use this forum to discuss MINI topics which are not related to other forums. Posts may be moved from here to alternative forums by the moderators without notice

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2014, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 03:26 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Canada

I need help with my brakes

I have done the conversion from drum to disc brakes on a 1000cc 1976 Mini right hand drive with 10 inch wheels. Bled the lines so only clear fluid is coming out. And yet I need to pump the brakes at least once to get enough pressure to stop and even then its not great. I expected a whole lot more stopping power. A guy at work suggested replacing the master cylinder but I don't want to just go randomly replacing things. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2014, 12:44 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 07:26 PM

United Kingdom Male

Hi ya

It does sound like the master cylinder, when the car is stationary if you pump the brake and keep pressure on it does it start to fad if it does there is a good chance it's the master cylinder, it is possible to have a internal leak as well.
From what I remember the cars that had discs had a different master cylinder bigger internals. The 1275 GT used to have had a brake servo as well

Hope this helps
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2014, 07:10 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 08:26 PM
Quoted: 52 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

You will probably need a bigger bore master cylinder if youve gone from drum to discs on a standard mini, you are having to pump the pedal to bring the pads back up to the discs as they move away a little during wheel movement then the second press is to press the pads onto the discs, if you had a larger cylinder more fluid would be pushed through in one press of the pedal.
You need to check what cylinder you have fitted at present and then see what cylinder the mini that had 10" wheels with discs had and do the same, the betting is its a larger one than you have already and maybe even had a servo too??

This is the forum for the BMW MINI by the way, you might be better going onto a classic mini forum to get your questions answered?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2014, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 03:26 PM

Canada

Awesome thanks guys. I'll look into it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2014, 10:45 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 08:26 PM

United Kingdom Male

Yes you need to fit the Cooper S/1275GT master cylinder, looks the same as the drum version but is visibly taller for extra fluid capacity (used with the single circuit brakes) and had a remote servo.

If you have the later dual circuit brakes then you need to fit the 1989 onwards master cylinder and servo unit combined, used for all later Mini's with disc brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.