MINI Cooper Forum banner

R56 Footwell module dead

18K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Lamsac 
#1 ·
Hi Dears,

I was connecting a H11 HID kit to my Spec-D projector housing.
It is installed since 3 months and Spec-D housing really looks amazing.
Actually I have HID on my fog light (H8).
I have bought a relay harness and a H11 HID Kensun kit. All well connected (positve to main positive on the engine fuse box and negative to one of the ground bolts on the chasis just below the engine fuse box).
The relay is activated by one of the H11 connector. All done with baterry disconected.

All OK, when starting the lights the lights just were on a few seconds and then all turned off. I disconnected all and reconnect to the halogen bulb without success. Through ISTA Rheingold I could saw there is not connection with FRM module. :aargh:

Now I'm with low beam always on (with lights switched off), no blinkers, no dahsboard lights, no interior light, no reverse light nor windows working, plus red service warning.

Could be there is a fuse blown for the FRM. If yes, what is it location?
If changing the fuse is the solution I will go to a pair of Nokya H11 HID look halogen bulbs. It seems HID kit with relay harness was not a good idea for the FRM module :frown:

Thank you for your help!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Oficial Service Respose

Today was the day to take the car to the official service.
The status is: "You have problems with your FRM and we need replace it with a new one".

Total value = $ 1500 (new FRM) + installation hours (about $ 200) :aargh:

I will try researching about the "FRM problem" :nice:

Thank you for any comment to help! :)

#3 ·
Still researching

Hi again, still researching about how to return from the dead my FRM module.
I could find some info about the FRM could be in an "inactive state" due to a short circuit detected.
I'm searching for info about re activate it through tool32.
It seems there is a terminal change (15 > 30 > 15) that can order to active again the module (if short circuit is solved).

I'm not clear on the terminal change procedure, but still googling and waiting for your grateful comments/help! :)

#9 ·
Oh man, I have a 2011 Countryman, simple engine, the footwell module is fried, I have the FMR3 PL3 R56 and this number is very important because there is the gen 2 and gen 3, even though they look exactly the same, beware of purchasing the wrong one. How do we know which one is the right one?.. Well through the vin number of your Mini... You will need someone to conduct a search of your vin, to know which module is right for your car. As of today I have searched on ebay, even straight out of Germany, it is very hard to find. If someone knows otherwise, please advice. But still im looking at over $1000 on this fix. It should be a safety recall!!! .. 4/11/2016

#10 ·
Ive got the same issue after a the battery went bad on my 2012 mini base model but all the same things happened after changing out with a new battery due to it going to **** also replace some blown lights. Took to a shop and said I needed a new FRM.
Any help with what you did please and would be greatly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.