MINI Cooper Forum banner

First Left-Hand Drive Driving School

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Angib 
#1 ·

SKYSCANNER has launched the first ever left hand driving school to give holiday-goers the confidence they need to drive abroad after research* out today reveals that over a quarter (27%) of British travellers admit to being afraid of driving on the opposite side of the road.
Skyscanner launches first left hand driving school | Skyscanner

Skyscanner’s Mary Porter commented: “With two-thirds of the world’s countries driving on the right-hand side of the road we wanted to give British holidaymakers the confidence they need to drive overseas. Rules and regulations vary from country to country so we’ve also published a guide (Driving abroad guides | Skyscanner) to provide some clarity for drivers including top tips on driving on the opposite side of the road. There is so much to discover off the beaten track so we hope people make the most of it without the fear of driving abroad.”

The guide not only includes a list of national speed limits for UK’s most popular holiday destinations for car hire but also a list of unusual road signs they may come across as well as key driving laws from across the globe.

See less See more
#2 ·
When I went to France it wasnt the driving on the other side that was the problem it was changing gear with the other hand, still in future they will be driverless wont they, according to the press today its already starting here, so we wont need to worry, just sit in the back and go to sleep.
I wonder how the law will stand if you get knocked down by a car with no one driving it?

#3 ·
As anyone who has lived in a ferry port will tell you, it's not when you go away that is the problem, but when you come home. You get back and relax - and then drive off on the right hand side of the road.

After living in Canada with a left hand drive car, I returned to Britain and nearly punched out the door window of my Punto, going to put my Oldsmobile in reverse.... I also nearly got rear-ended a couple of times because I gave way to a pedestrian when turning at a junction - of course the Highway Code says you should do this but no British driver ever does, whereas in Canada paedophiles are more welcome than drivers that don't give way to pedestrians.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.