MINI Cooper Forum banner

Chirping noise driving me mad!

6K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  The Nun 
#1 ·
Hi.I have a Mini Cooper R56 2007.I have a funny chirping noise coming from
the engine.It seems to be worse when the car gets warm.It seems to go when I put the aircon on or when the car revs above 1000 rpm.I have replaced the V belt and alternator pully but to no avail! Any help would be much appreciated

#2 ·
Its sounds very much like its to do with a belt thats making the noise, sometimes if the pulleys are misaligned face to face it causes the belt to come out of its pulley V groove out of square and as it rubs on the side of the vee it squeaks.
Alignment problems can occur if say a new alternator had been fitted and not shimmed up to align it correctly to align it with the other pulleys.

To check if it is a belt, if you have the engine running and carefully spray something like WD40 quickly on the belts and it will immediately go quiet for a while if its to do with the belts.

If that cures it temporarily, then check the pulley alignment, if ok, then fit a new belt and roughen up the pulley belt grooves with a piece of sandpaper to remove the shine?

Or secondly it could be a belt tensioner wheel that has a dry or worn bearing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.