MINI Cooper Forum banner

Runflats?!

5K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  chopper_harris 
#1 ·
My new to me 2008 Clubman is in need of a pair of runflats on the front (rear have around 5mm remaining). Currently have Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 (winter) 195/55/R16 all round. Does anyone have any runflat recommendations please? Thanks, Angela

#2 ·
No replies?

Curious you've had no replies, I can't believe this would have happened on previous car forums I've joined. This is a weird forum, so many sub-sections and so many posts ignored.

Regarding tyres, I prefer the same brand all round. Having said which, I've just replaced runflats (two of which were excellent) for standard tyres to improve the ride.

#11 · (Edited)
I could be wrong, but if you're not happy with the sealant solution it looks to me as though there's room for a space saver spare below the boot. At least it does in my Clubman.

And the ride on non run-flats is much less harsh; previously I felt the need to apologise to passengers but now it's firm but not harsh and crashy.

#6 ·
I think Bridgestone also do an A001 all season tyre which will feel similar to your winter tyres, but I don't know if in runflat. The winter tyres are for below 7 degrees really, and over that they will deteriorate quite fast. I would have removed them in March for summer tyres.

Michelin are the dearest tyres of all usually, so wouldn't bother with them.

I took mine off runflats and it's great. You can get inflation kits for slower punctures, or good roadside cover. If worried, stick to runflats.

Firestone are an affordable runflat, or Avon too.

#7 ·
I was thinking about just relying on roadside assistance. But the cost of that service plus the amount of time I would have to wait on the side of the road for them to assist me..I'm thinking that in that moment I would gladly spend the money for runflats. But you have all provided good points to think about.

#8 ·
I've now got Dunlop SP01 RFTs all round on my JCW and it's a lot better than I expected.
My wife uses it a fair bit and doesn't want the risk of non RFTs - she has RFTs on her Cooper. I did have some on my old BMW 130i but the ride was still very firm as you need stiff sidewall tyres.

I still don't like RFTs but I can tolerate these Dunlops.

#9 ·
We have two minis with runflats and one without...The 2013 GP II actually comes without RF's from the factory, and the factory provides a pump and sealant for flats. I used mine already, and it was good enough to get to a tire shop. I carry the pump and cans of flat sealant. I will keep runflats on my wife's car, and replace the runflats on our third car (which I drive) with standard tires when the RF's are worn.

#12 ·
Brilliant replies folks.... Still torn between worry of being woman alone stranded with regular tyres or the tramlining security of runflats? Anyone know if can fit a spacesaver wheel in boot where tools are currently stored on a 2008 clubbie? Also what tyre foams are people using please?
Thanks,
Angela :)

#15 ·
In the 11 years my wife has had her Cooper, it has had all four tyres punctured once (good luck there).
On three occasions I wasn't local, or even in the country, so she was able to get home and still drive around for 4 days, in one case.

There is no way she would be able to undo the wheel nuts and change the wheel (she's not an idiot, just light of touch :)) let alone the safety aspect on the side of the road.

She has kept the tyres despite the ride and I have agreed to keep mine as she drives the JCW quite regularly as well. The Dunlop SP01's are quite good considering and even non rft's aren't great because of the stiffer sidewalls needed. I put Michelin PS3 non rfts on my BMW 130 and it was massively improved but it wasn't by any means perfect.

I think it's 'each to their own' circumstances and safety thoughts. Just beware that some recovery companies allegedly won't help if you have ditched the spare tyre or the rft's. That may have changed since I last looked though.

#17 ·
No, you are not required to have a spare for an MoT.

Surprisingly the MoT test rules also say that the condition and tread depth of a spare tyre, if present, is not tested:
This inspection applies to the road wheels fitted to the vehicle at the time of inspection only.

The vehicle presenter should be informed if a defect is noticed on the spare wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.