MINI Cooper Forum banner

heat problem

15K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  John J 
#1 ·
can anyone help please,my 53 plate cooper s has no heat??..i have changed the thermostat and still no heat???,has anyone been thru this before??

#3 ·
hi,the heater controls are electronic,but i must say i have just done the s/c oil service and as you know you have to remove the whole front end,and there was a nice brown colour muck/water coming out of the rad,i flushed it thru as best as i could but i suspect my system is all crapped up including the heater core..

#4 ·
I currently have the same issue with heating, so far the thermostat, water pump, coolant renewal and pollen filter have all been replaced with little and no difference today it is having the matrix replaced - mine is the digital heat settings too... absolute ballache. I believe the chilli pack is known for its issues?
Any advice on what to do next would be great :)
Sorry to hijack your thread pal.

#5 ·
If the new heater matrix does not fix the heat problem (matrix blocked is reasonably common fault) then as you have automatic climate control the heater flaps are controlled by 3 small servo motors, one may have failed with the hot air flap shut or the dash digital control panel may be faulty.
Diagram of servo motors below, all are accessible without removing dash.
eg. No.3 is for heater temp control
RealOEM.com * BMW R53 Cooper S Actuator, heater and air condit.

#18 ·
If the new heater matrix does not fix the heat problem (matrix blocked is reasonably common fault) then as you have automatic climate control the heater flaps are controlled by 3 small servo motors, one may have failed with the hot air flap shut or the dash digital control panel may be faulty.
Diagram of servo motors below, all are accessible without removing dash.
eg. No.3 is for heater temp control
RealOEM.com * BMW R53 Cooper S Actuator, heater and air condit.
I just had this problem in a 2009 Mini and it turned out to be the Heater Blend Door. I'm not sure where is it on the new models but on the 2009, it's on the passenger side of the center console. If you get a mirror and flashlight, you can see it about 10 inches from the floor. It's a pain to change unless you rip the whole interior apart but I worked around everything and it still too about 1 1/2 hours to put in. This is the part number for 2009 and can be found on Mini Cooper Parts | FCP Euro

#7 ·
Picture is of the big black plastic heater/ac housing visible under and behind dash. I don't think you need to remove the main dash to access the servo motors but maybe the heater control panel for No.2.....realoem picture is for LHD so RHD is mirror image for the cabin filter side.
You would need to see or hear the relevant servo motor moving heater flaps when control panel buttons are pressed but maybe diagnostics can confirm as it could be control panel or a servo actuator perhaps?
Mini Manual downloadable here
Download of all 89 MINI technical pdfs here (545MB zipped):
LIB > Mini technical documents | BMW-Planet.com

BMW Planet also has lots of useful technical information as pdf file downloads.
This is for the BC1 for example:
http://www.bmw-planet.com/lib/mini/BODY CONTROL MODULE.pdf

#8 ·
hijust a update on my heat prob,i have noticed when i adjust the heater from hi to lo its goes cold,on hi its very lukewarm,the matrix cover i removed and the matrix is very hot...does that mean the servo motor is ok????,also i slightly cracked off the clamp /pipe on the matrix to see wot colour water drips from it and at first it was a brown the blue..ie my coolant..hmmm,im getting very confused here..anyone help please,,

#9 ·
I would change the heater matrix first as it is a common problem to get clogged up with brown sludge and a fairly easy/cheap job to swap (flushing through old matrix rarely works and involves lots of extra work to do removal/refit job twice) .....make sure system is bleed of all air afterwards however to ensure circulation of hot coolant.

If problem persists afterwards then it may be time to investigate the actuators and control panel which is more difficult/expensive to do with or without some diagnostics.

New matrix cured this one in end:-
Lukewarm Heater
http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-generation-faults-fixes/189753-2002-cooper-s-lukewarm-heater.html

Try a google search "lukewarm heater mini2" for more results.

#10 ·
next update

hi everyone,after mucho thought i have deciced to remove said matrix from my works mini,quite an easy job...old core weighs more than replacement core,old core full of bits and bobs,brown crud etc.....cushty i ses to myself,as my new (ish) core has come complete with pipes fully attached!!...so..all i gotta do is take off old pipes,remove whole filter housing etc,undo old pipes,and poke new pipes thru holes in firewall (bulkhead) and re attach.....NOT......pipes are in a really really bloody awkward place needing a ramp to make it really easy for me,so now i had to separate pipes on core and reuse originals,but 1st,order some clamps/seals from real oem expensive before i can finish the job and hopefully have some heat in my mini.....but i must say whoever thought of the idea to use clamps and seals is a complete utter utter git,and i hope his/her arms fall off and there head explodes cos they are the most stupid idea to attach a water hose i have ever come across...come on bmw,you do build a nice motor but by god you do seriously f**k up.........

#11 ·
Don't forget Rover had a lot more to do with the design of the Mk1 2001-2006 version (R50/53) of the MINI than BMW ! :D

There is more BMW in the Mk2 R56 Mini but the first truly all BMW designed Mini is the latest F56 Mk3 Mini hatch.

Just remembered these tips....
Heater Matrix Swap
Heater Matrix Swap - Mini Cooper Register Forum

"Another tip getting the pipes to connect up to the matrix.
I tried needle nose pliers but just could not get enough purchase on the pipe.
So I put a small jubilee type pipe clamp around the metal pipe past the mounting flange and then used this to push the pipe into the matrix.
NOT an easy job."
http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-ge.../167518-heater-matrix-swapout-hints-tips.html

#15 ·
i had to??

well,i had to do it,i had to phone a guy i know who is a bmw techie,i for the life of me could not get those clamps on that damn matrix to sit tight and square,he told me they use a special tool which clamps on to the pipes...so thats it..just gotta wait for him to do his stuff and im back on the road.!!!!...well ...sort of..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.