MINI Cooper Forum banner

PAS Fluid Leak HELP!!

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  JollyRotten 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Need some advice desperately.

I have 2004 Mini First - I've owned it for round 18 months, it cost just under £3,000. I thought I'd treat my car which had a slight problem with the coolant (frequently running low). By taking it to a mini dealer - Berry Heathrow.

I then received a call to say my car would need £4,500 worth of work done as follows:

Front disc corroded 226.54
Gearbox Oil leak 358.78
Oil leaks 362.27
Coolant Leak 767.32
PAS Fluid Leak 2540.62
B/Fluid service due 11.57

After being told my car (with a current six month MOT) was a death trap, I was immediately put on to a sales advisers who "could help me" to buy a new mini on higher purchase for 13,000,

When I collected my car today higher purchase was again the preferred option with my car as around a £500 deposit.

Obviously I'm rather shocked by events and all the prices and options seem sky high please help/advise.

See less See more
#7 ·
Break down of issues-

Replace front brake pads and discs (discs are corroded)

Replace sump pan (severe oil leak)

Replace both rotary mechanical seals on gearbox (gearbox oil leak)
Replace water pump, coolant thermostat, fan belt and radiator (coolant leak)

Replace power steering pump, hoses and gear (PAS leak)

Check suspension and allignment with possible full KDS and adjustment of front and rear axle

Costs -

Front disc corroded 226.54
Gearbox Oil leak 358.78
Oil leaks 362.27
Coolant Leak 767.32
PAS Fluid Leak 2540.62
B/Fluid service due 11.57

Total over -£4,500

#8 ·
Why are you going to a MINI Main Dealer with what is now considered an old car by them (2004 = 10 years old)......find a good local independant garage who have reasonable prices. Only owners with newish cars under warranty or company owned cars use main dealers unless you want to be ripped off by high labour costs !!

Of course they want you to buy a new car......if I took my 2002 MINI into a main dealer they would no doubt find a long list of faults to write the car off, and suggest I buy new.....sadly thats how most Main Dealers work now.

#9 ·
Personally I think they are pulling your chain mate. Anything you get done at MINI is gonna cost you loads of dosh. If I were you I'd take the car to a normal garage and have them do any work on it.

I do my own work and just recently I've changed my disks/ pads all round, 2 new front hub bearings, new n/s/f wheel speed sensor, and a full service and changed the cabin filter. All this cost me approx £390 in parts from my local motor factors. The only things I bought from MINI was a sump plug about £4.40 and new collar screws for the brake disks £1.16 each!

It sounds to me like they just want you to buy a car from them!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.