MINI Cooper Forum banner

Fuel Consumption in Mini Cooper D 2014

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  christian6984 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I am dissappointed with my car based on the fuel consumption on it. I was told I could get about 65mpg out of this car but I am only getting an average of 52, I have done just under 3000 miles.... apparently about 2000 miles is when it starts to become more fuel efficient.

I do alot of motorway driving, every day for work. I cruise at 75mph with green mode on doing 2.1rpm x1000

Does anyone else have this problem? I mean, when will I start getting better figures??

#4 ·
The average counter is an accumulative figure which effectively is an average mpg of ALL driving done since the counter was last reset for e.g. if you did 20 miles around town returning low mpg and then 20 miles on a straight road with high mpg your average counter is only likely to show a mid mpg figure as it is an accumulation of both types of driving covered under those miles.

The real time counter gives you a more accurate figure when driving at a constant speed for long periods of time e.g. motorway driving.

You could try resetting the average counter right as you join the motorway thus removing any skewed figures from town driving and showing you the actual average of the motorway journey.

I get what you are saying about the combined mpg and yes you are right but it really does depend on the mix of driving styles.

My clubman cooper D tells me I'm doing an average of 35mpg at the moment because my journey into work is short but very stop/start without any motorway driving to pump that average back up.

On paper my car should technically do 64.2 mpg around town alone but lets be honest the testing conditions these figures are derived from do not take into consideration half of the real life factors that contribute to the actual genuine on the road mpg.

#5 ·
I'm getting an overall average of 57mpg on my 2010 Cooper D Convertible. The journey computer which I reset every fill up is showing 61mpg currently, that's my usual commute of 25 miles each way, a bit of town then steady 50 or 60 then a couple of miles on a dual carriageway.

My car has done just on 40k, I think you need to wait until you have done about 10k before you start to see anywhere near the sort of figures that are officially quoted.

#6 ·
My drive into work is literally 5 minutes long (I could walk realistically but driving the Mini makes me smile more) so my mpg is low, car hasn't even had time to warm up by the time I get there! I don't think I get out of 3rd gear and that is no exaggeration... 3 sets of lights and a roundabout and boom, I'm there!!!

On the plus side at least my car has low low miles on the clock :)

#7 ·
No part of the 'official' fuel consumption figures involves driving continuously as fast as 75mph. Even the extra-urban test only goes to a maximum of 75mph for part of the time and the average speed for this part of the test is 39mph so you would expect your fuel consumption to be significantly worse than the 91.1mpg for new Dooper's extra-urban, which it is.

If an average of 39mph gives 91.1mpg, driving like a saint, then 52mpg at 75mph, particularly if you don't drive like it's a fuel economy competition, sounds plausible. However I would expect a bit better as my quaint old second generation SD averages 48mpg cruising at 85mph.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.