MINI Cooper Forum banner

MOT Advisories - Would you buy this car?

6K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  SeanC 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm looking at a 2005 Convertible Cooper S, with 58k. At the last MOT the following items were noted:

1) Power steering pipe or hose has slight seepage

2) Nearside rear brake disc worn, pitted or scored but not seriously weakened

3) Offside rear brake disc worn, pitted or scored but not seriously weakened

4) Nearside front suspension arm has slight play in a pin/bush

5) Offside front suspension arm has slight play in a pin/bush

I assume 2 & 3 require replacing as will 4 & 5 in due course. My main concern is 1) and if this is related to the Power Steering Pump failing.

The car has not been serviced since 2011 and while the owner is offering to get the car serviced now at a Mini/BMW dealership I doubt I would qualify for a new Power Steering Pump based on what I have read elsewhere (10yrs, reasonable mileage, FSH).

With a new clutch potentially on the horizon I am curious if all of the above is simply one issue too far?

I called my local mini dealership to get an idea of cost but the service dept is closed until Mon - Does anyone have an approximate idea what it would cost to get all these items fixed?

Thanks in advance,

See less See more
#2 ·
To be honest, it doesn't look all that bad.
Dont think a seeping pipe is related to the normal pump failure which usually fail through overheating, & a 'Slightly seeping hose or pipe' could possibly be fixed by simply tightening it fittings, or in a worst case by its replacement - for which a garage would probably charge around £50.
A rebuilt warrentied pump is only £160
As for the other items on the list, well they all seem a bit standard for the age of the car, but again nothing to really worry about.

Now the clutch - what makes you think its on its way out?
Is it noisy - slipping - stiff ? - or are you just worried it might need changing in the next 40k due to normal wear?

...and all this has got to be offset against what they're asking for the car.
:rolleyes:

#3 ·
Agree with Restyle,

I recently bought a 2004 R50 with 87,000 on the clock with BMW service history up to 47,000. The previous owner said that she had it serviced at her local garage but no paper work to back it up but this didn't faze me. I had a good look over the car and drove it and it drove fine so I bought it. The only advisory on the mot was a chip to the windscreen. How it passed its test is beyond me as the chip was well over 10mm and slap bang in the drivers view?

The first thing I do with any car when I buy them is give it a full inspection and service. When I inspected it I noticed that the brake disks all round were very rusty, however it had new pads and also the abs light would come on now and again.

I put some cash aside for a couple of weeks and then renewed the disks and pads all round and also the n/s/f wheel speed sensor. About a month later the o/s/f wheel bearing started to howl so I bought a pair of hubs and swapped these over. I done all the work myself and for the brakes/ sensor and hubs I paid just over £300 for the parts.

Your advisory list doesn't look that bad so if you want the car and providing it sounds and drive ok then go for it :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.