MINI Cooper Forum banner

Issue with mini 2005 convertible roof

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  boppu 
#1 ·
Hi

My Mini cooper convertible roof needs repair, the roof in the passenger side is not closing properly. All the hydraulics are in good condition, but this problem came from no where. i have taken the car to BMW dealership in Townsville, they gave me only one option which is the total roof replacement and the quote is at-least $21,000 . I was shocked and asked for an alternative option, unfortunately they have none. I hope these technicians use bit of common-sense and use some innovation that can offer better value for money. I don't know whether i have to feel sorry about myself or if have to feel sorry about there expertise. I want to contact Mini technical expertise to discuss about this issue, but I couldn't find the number. i have searched in the internet, in USA these problems are dealt like a piece of cake, but this is not the case here. Unfortunately I am not even living in Sydney/Melbourne to go for any alternative.

Keeping the story aside, I am looking for an expertise in Townsville that can sort this issue. Also need the contact details of any Technical head, they may not be able to assist me, but at least they may consider providing some better training to their staff that may help someone in future. We are really upset with the BMW dealership advice, we would love to see our car up and running, and my sincere feeling is the problem can be rectified if i can find a expert technician.Thank you very much for your assistance.

See less See more
#3 ·
If you can describe the symptoms a bit better you might get some more advice, eg does the sunroof open, does the latch undo on both sides or only 1 side? Does the roof open but not close?

Unfortunately the BMW fix is to replace everything instead of actually fixing what is broken.

I think you have one too many zeros in your quote.

#4 ·
Hi Burnstar, thanks for the reponse.

Everything was working fine, but when we are closing the roof it got stuck in the passenger side probably 70cm. What i can see when sliding back it was misplaced or something. I tried to open and close it but it didn't work that way. I thought it may cost me $1000 dollars and 2000 dollars in the worst case, but i didnt expected $21,000 .
Any assistance will be appreciated.
quote.

#6 ·
Have a look at this Video on NAM, this is to repair the cable, however the guy also shows you how to disassemble the roof and you might be able to inspect what's broken this way.

They must have made a mistake on the price as replacing the roof should only be around the $2K - $5K mark. They are maybe quoting a "we don't want to do it" price. You can buy a second hand 2005 convertible in good condition for $15K

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.