MINI Cooper Forum banner

idle and rev counter issue.

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Deeztheweez 
#1 ·
Hi. Im new here. So I own a Mini One 2002 16 petrol and lately i'm noticing that when in idle position, gear free, foot on break the rev needle moves slightly up and down and idiling not that bad but not the smoothest. I had the spark plugs changed (ngk platinum). Rev needle problem has been on for a while but it never bothered me...idiling issue started when I got normal spark plugs on then of course after 10 days they were burned out already! Now since I got the new spark plugs (ngk platinum) on, seems better but not as it used to be. Thanks all and sorry for the long thread.

#4 ·
Its an easy and cheap fix, it may or may not be the MAF, but for rough idle it would be my first point to check.

It connects to your air filter box,

Remove the clips and connector, it will then be easily removed, then clean the sensor with electrical spray, allow to dry and pop it back in.

If this doesnt fix your issues, check and see if your spark plugs are wet, if they are wet then its likely to be a head gasket.

Is there any oil in the coolant, or white scum under the oil cap?

#8 ·
Hi
Please see your other post:smile::smile:
I forgot to put to be careful with the connectors as they are fragile:aargh:
Check the loom from the sensor and throttle is not chafing on the right hand of the engine block, can cause other problems, (documented here with throttle body / accelerator peddle errors!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.