MINI Cooper Forum banner

heated windscreen

9K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  hassanov 
#1 ·
hi guys,...have any of you come across this prob,i have a 53 plate jcw,and cos its starting to get a little bit cold in the mornings,im using my heated front screen,but ive noticed only half is clearing,passenger side of course,my side stays misty till the temp gets up but the pass side is clearing in seconds with screen on??,anyone else come across this at all??

#2 ·
Ive only had this experience with a Freelander 2 and that was a duff replacement screen which had to be renewed again , but each half of the screen is on a separate circuit so half can work and half not, each half has its own earth point each side of the car, you could check the wiring connection to the screen is sound and its earth on the affected side, this normally involves removing the screen interior surround trim to get at it though.

#4 ·
Hi mate

Pull off you windscreen trim inside on the side that is not working and you will see two wires red and brown I think they are.
take them off very carefully and put a multimeter or bulb across the two wires and turn the screen on. If you get 12 volts or the buld lights up you have power and an earth, and that means your screen is shot.
my one is shot both sides due to stone chips

Hope this helps

#8 ·
Hi ya

Remover the inside windscreen pillar trim on the side that does not work you will see two wires attached to the screen I think one red one brown there are only two connected to the screen under there

A Quick and easy way for you to check the screen is getting power to it. is to put a multi meter across the red and brown conectors or a test lamp if you have one ( basically a bulb with two wires off of it one positive one negative ) no need to disconect t then at this time.
Switch on you heated screen with the engine running if you are using a multimeter you should see >11.5volts dc if you are using a test lamp you will get a light.
This is checking the electrical circuit of the car (power and earth). If you dont have power you will need to find out why
I have got some PDFs docs for the screen wiring if you get to this stage but I think you will find its the screen unfortunalty. Pm me if you get stuck and need them

Good luck :)

#6 ·
I had this on a Mondeo. I removed the two plastic blade type trims that run down the sides of the windscreen I cleaned the channel out of 10 years worth of road grime and wiggled the wire (gently). Then hay presto the whole screen heated again.

Just for reference, the wires are bonded into the glass at the top edge of the screen. If you want to test for power you will need to trace the plug connectors under the scuttle.

#7 ·
Hi

Fyi

You will find in the bmw mini r53 Jcw the electrical connectors for the front windscreen, are inside the car under the plastic windscreen pillar trim,
two conectors on the left hand side of the screen one is power one is earth and same set up on the right side. the screen is split in half lh rh Vertically down the middle.
Just be careful disconecting the connectors if you have to.

The power wire for the screens, runs directly from the conectors at the screen down to the screen relay located by the fuse box in you left hand footwell. This relay is controlled by the BCU and a common fuse for both sides of the screen
The lh and rh power wires for the screen are spliced together and the connected to the relay,
The earths for the screens are located in the lh & rh foot wells to access these you have to remove the kick panel trim, this is why I say jump it with a bulb this way you check both live and earth.

I would say personally if the screen has been changed previously ie non original one refitted, there is a very good chance the screen is shot or the conectors at the screen are damaged
There have been a lot of threads about the poor quality of the mini heated screen.
the element is easly damaged buy minor stone chips or light peppering.

The mini's are very susceptible to windscreen damage due the the screen being At a steeper angle than other makes of car

I know the above due to having issues with my gen 1 r53

Hope this helps as there is not a great deal of info out there about the heated screens on the gen 1 mini

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.