MINI Cooper Forum banner

Heater not working

17K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  tmw1993 
#1 ·
The heater on my Mini One is only blowing slightly warm air
I have flushed and refilled the system also bleeding it thought the two vents under the bonnet.
I've used the car for two weeks water temp runs at the correct temp but the heater only blows slightly warm air
Cheers
Apple

#3 ·
If the coolant temp is correct and the heater isn't blowing hot, that means coolant is not circulating through the heater core. Low coolant will do this, but you've already checked that and bled the air out. I don't know any different so I'll assume you did that correctly.

First thing to check is whether you've got a pinched or kinked heater hose. Second thing, I haven't been a Mini owner long, but I suspect there's a valve somewhere that allows coolant to flow through the heater core (and shuts off that flow when the heater's off), on many cars that valve is part of the heater core and controlled by a cable. If that valve doesn't fully open, you won't get good coolant flow; if it doesn't fully close you can't shut the heater off. On cars built this century that valve is usually controlled by a stepper motor, and those can bind up or work intermittently. Try turning the heater off and back on about a dozen times, it may free itself up.

If these cheap & free solutions don't work, a new heater core is likely the solution.

#5 ·
Don't think there are any water valves in the Mini heater system, the temperature is controlled by flaps inside the heater which blend hot and cold air......the various flaps are controlled by levers and cables in manual a/c cars or by servo motors in Mini's with auto/climate control.

#9 ·
Worth noting i just fixed my issue with the heater not working. I checked my coolant was topped up (it was) and was able to feel that the heater matrix got hot all the way through after a min/2mins of idle.

My issue was that the mechanism that the manual heater knob operates had pulled itself out of a small gear that it inserts into. Popped it back in after ensuring the knob was turned to cold... turned it up to heat and job done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.