MINI Cooper Forum banner

new to mini

967 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  The Nun 
#1 ·
Hey all I'm new here. I'm trying to do some research on which mini to buy for my first mini. I'm looking for a s model but not sure which generation to get. I'm leaning towards the supercharged ones but what it comes down to which had more issues. Any input on either generation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys can't wait to get my first mini

#2 ·
I am also considering buying one so id be interested in hearing some options on them, from what ive heard as long as you stick with the manual tranny they arent too bad but ive been hearing mixed reviews of them being bad or unreliable to others who have had no problems

#3 ·
Ones to avoid ...

1st Gen Cooper or One models built before July 2004 with manual transmission (problematic Midlands transmission).

1st Gen Cooper or One models with automatic transmission (problematic CVT transmission).

2nd Gen Cooper S models with N14 engine (problems with timing chain tensioner, high pressure fuel pump, high oil consumption, carbon buildup on intake valves).

The character of 1st and 2nd Gen MINIs are different ... think "raw" versus "refined".

#5 ·
You cant go on the mileage always, it depends on servicing and how its been looked after and driven generally.
Has it done 100k in town in first and second gear all the while or 100k on the motorway on top gear most of the time?
Has it been driven flat out everywhere or only done short journeys where it never warms up properly?
Each might have its merits and problems.

if its been treated with care and looked after properly 100k should be no problem, if its never been cleaned washed or serviced much and have 15 owners it will be no doubt just about knackered.

Its a risk you have to take I guess buying secondhand, try to get some form of warranty if you can in with the price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.