MINI Cooper Forum banner

stop start was introduced when?

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  richgilb 
#1 ·
Hi All

I just bought a 57 plate clubman cooper. It doesn't have stop start ignition yet I see some reviews from 2007 talk about stop start.

Was it an option?

Where are the mpg figures for cars with and without stop start?

Cheers!

#2 ·
I believe they started to roll it out over the model range around August 2007, so not all variants had it from that point, and they say you can save up to 9% if you do a lot of start stop driving in towns??

Mine hasnt got it as the JCWs didnt a the time, but I have a Freelander 2 that does, it works well, but I wonder just how long the battery and starter will last firing up the engine 100 times day and will the cost of replacing those eventually cancel out the fuel saved benefits??
And each time the engine stops the oil pressure drops and then has to come up again once started, the turbo losses its oil supply too so can be spinning down from high revs without oil pressure, will this cause more engine wear eventually than a car engine thats not continually switched off and on ??

Normally all these eco devices sound really good but cause no end of problems later, like the diesel particulate filter clogs up if you dont do epic mileages and that cost no end to sort out, so what might be eco on the environment certainly isnt on your wallet!

#3 ·
Thanks. I think the dealer was wrong. My car has the button for it near the gear stick. But no stop start happens. Also my heater is not working properly nor does the av work at all. I wonder if I have electrical gremlins down that area. Anyway it is going back to be sorted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.