MINI Cooper Forum banner

Mcs 2004 rs53, my05 turned into a lemon

5K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  Teemo2015 
#1 · (Edited)
I found a dealer down the street with a 2004 Mini Cooper S R50 MY03 with 128,000kms and selling for $10,500. Service records every 15,000kms and looks great inside and out. No dings or terrible interior.

Also, what's the difference between the R50 and R53 and MY03 and MY04? Should I grab this one? With the 4 or $5K saved I could get new wheels and do a few mods.

Here are some pics:

Edit, goto the last post for an update.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Sounds on the high side to me to be honest.

We just picked up an absolute mint 2006 MCS Park lane six speed auto with 83,000km in Brisbane. Not a scratch inside or out, leather seats, Anthracite interior, Interior and exterior chrome pack, climate control, 17in Bullet alloys with almost new run flat tyres, HID headlights and 6 months rego all for $16,500.

Only problem was the drivers side strut top was damaged but just received a set from the US for $145 Aus delivered.

Attachments

#5 ·
What should I drill down to? Should I spend the extra wodge of cash to get the real Mini Cooper I want? I really want a 2005 JCW or Chili. What should I pay for a dealer and for private?

I'm securing funds thru a broker like Carloans.com.au or FirstRateCarLoans.com.au

#7 ·
The price will be dependant on the state you reside in, QLD will always be cheaper than VIC !

As Caveman said the R50 is the standard 5speed 1.6 L and the R53 is the Supercharged 6 speed version.

The mileage is OK for the age, remember that insurance will cost more for the R53 than the R50 as its supercharged.

I just reinsured my R50 for market value with RACV and it cost me around $650.00 with 25 yrs of no claims bonus discount.

Have a look at Carsales.com.au for similar models and see what the market value is, what most are asking for the same model with similar mileage.

Don't forget its an older car and at some stage your going to be replacing parts due to age and wear and tear.

Call your insurance company for a quote for market value and once you have the market value, negotiate from there but it looks like a nice little unit.

p.s. worry about mods once you have had the car a while and sorted any issues that could occur.

#14 ·
......I just reinsured my R50 for market value with RACV and it cost me around $650.00 with 25 yrs of no claims bonus discount......
Ouch, I guess QLD is cheaper all round. Just insured our new one, at Market Value for the 2006 MCS Park Lane (currently around $18,000 according to the insurer) for $457 including roadside assistance!!

Rrotz, if they are cheaper interstate may be worth a trip to pick one up. I actually thought they would be cheaper in Victoria and was quite prepared to fly down and drive back after getting someone to check it out for me but luckily found one up here.

Just looking on Car Sales and there is a Cooper S Checkmate (facelift version) with only 85,000km for $14,500
I cant post links yet but just search carsales and you should find it if interested.

#9 ·
That's the supercharger so its an R53, the R50 doesn't have a supercharger unless someone has swapped the engine and put an R53 engine into an R50.

Put the last 7 leters /digits of the vin number into this website to find out the info about the vehicle from its manufacture.

BMW Model Archive · BMW VIN Decoder · bmwarchive.org

If its not a genuine R53 (Cooper S) I would start looking elsewhere!

#10 ·
That's the supercharger so its an R53, the R50 doesn't have a supercharger unless someone has swapped the engine and put an R53 engine into an R50.

Put the last 7 leters /digits of the vin number into this website to find out the info about the vehicle from its manufacture.

***Had to remove the URL***

If its not a genuine R53 (Cooper S) I would start looking elsewhere!

WMWRE320707C85284

No data related to 7C85284 was found!

This was also a 6spd transmission. What the heck!? Could someone double check the VIN for me so I'm sure I'm not making things up? I'm going to go back to the dealer and take MORE pics to get the VIN and model# from off the engine, body and dash.

Attachments

#13 ·
You guys are geniuses and this answers some funny questions I had for the dealer and he didn't have a clue! I went back today and said there must have been a typo on the spec sheet they have for the car because the brain trust on Mini2 said it should be TC, not 7C. When I looked up 7C it said no results found on the BMW site. I asked "Why does the compliance plate say R50 when it's clearly a R53?"

He was stumped but mini_fanatic answered the question! :nerd:

Attachments

#16 ·
The VIN data shows you its an R53 so that's solved !

The wear on the seat is to be expected and instead of modding the car, spend the money on having the seat/s refurbed by a good upholsterer etc.

You can sit and wait for a JCW or Chilli etc but a bird in the hand etc etc.

the only other thing I would consider is to get someone like the RACV, NRMA, RACQ (what ever state you live in) do an inspection on the car and then make a decision.

Again, consider the insurance cost and if your going to insure for purchase price or market value and be aware that they need to be maintained correctly.

You have the service record so that's at least a good start.

#17 ·
I just found another ad on Gumtree for a 2003 JCW with 2005 upgrade. I spent a good half hour talking to the owner because the drive from Geelong to the private seller's house is 4hrs. I think I'm well and truly after this one! $15650!

Listing Type: Private seller
Make: Mini Model: Cooper
Body Type: Hatchback
Year: 2003
Kilometres: 68905
Transmission: Manual
Drive Train: Front Wheel Drive
Fuel Type: Petrol - Unleaded
Colour: Red
Air Conditioning: Yes
Registration Number: AAB 034
Registration Expiry: 2 months - 06/06/2015
Variant: S

Price Reduced before I trade it in on Mazda mx5. JOHN COOPER WORKS MINI COOPER S. WITH 2005 POWER UPGRADE 154 kw'''. Imaculate condition, many extras, workshop manual, scan tool, spare set of wheels & tyres, suit fussy buyer.

Attachments

#18 ·
More specs are new run flat tyres, spare set of 4 wheels and tyres, battery charger, the owner says the alarm system keeps draining the battery. Problems: Sat nav has glitches and needs the dvd upgrade, keyless entry open button doesn't work, he has a new key cut but needs reprogramming.

I'm not concerned much about the tight suspension, my daily commute to work is only .7kms each way but I can just imagine taking weekly rides down the Great Ocean Road to Lorne for brunch or a picnic! So, between the 2004 MCS and the 2003 JCW, is it a no brainer on the JCW?

Attachments

#20 ·
I'm going thru a broker and they will only work with dealerships so the JCW is out. Dam! :crying:

I can't find the checkmate on carsales, I spotted a Park Lane 2006 for 14,500...is that the one? I need to go thru a dealership now to get financing. Can someone send me a link via PM?

#21 ·
Get the VIN and rego checked with vicroads for any issues, you mentioned batt issues ! buyer beware ! The new key cut, unless one has the software, you wont be able to use it to start the car until its hex code is input into the ECU (the ECU only has 10 slots in memory for keys). Cost of a new remote key is approx $500.00 and comes from Germany. BMW Doncaster or BMW Melb will need your licence and rego papers before they will order a key plus payment up front. They wont reprogram the key you have!

There is a facility on car sales.com.au where you can get the car checked for any incumbencies such as finance etc. Pay to have it checked!

http://www.carsales.com.au/car-research/car-facts/?csn_tn=true

Satnav would have been sorted at a dealership had it been in for a service. Which ever you choose, its worth dropping it into a reputable dealership to have it checked on the computer, once you car is hooked up, they have its full service history and if any updates or service issues are required. Mine picked up on a gear shift issue that was fixed under warranty on a 12 yr old car and some old codes cleared.

Personally I would be looking at the 2004 MCS but that's my opinion.
With the seat covers, unless they are specifically designed, your seat airbags wont be able to deploy correctly should you have an accident !

Again, just food for thought before you pull the trigger as repairs can be expensive (batt drain). Remember, caveat emptor.

#22 ·
Get the VIN and rego checked with vicroads for any issues, you mentioned batt issues ! buyer beware ! The new key cut, unless one has the software, you wont be able to use it to start the car until its hex code is input into the ECU (the ECU only has 10 slots in memory for keys). Cost of a new remote key is approx $500.00 and comes from Germany. BMW Doncaster or BMW Melb will need your licence and rego papers before they will order a key plus payment up front. They wont reprogram the key you have!

There is a facility on car sales.com.au where you can get the car checked for any incumbencies such as finance etc. Pay to have it checked!

Satnav would have been sorted at a dealership had it been in for a service. Which ever you choose, its worth dropping it into a reputable dealership to have it checked on the computer, once you car is hooked up, they have its full service history and if any updates or service issues are required. Mine picked up on a gear shift issue that was fixed under warranty on a 12 yr old car and some old codes cleared.

Personally I would be looking at the 2004 MCS but that's my opinion.
With the seat covers, unless they are specifically designed, your seat airbags wont be able to deploy correctly should you have an accident !

Again, just food for thought before you pull the trigger as repairs can be expensive (batt drain). Remember, caveat emptor.
Thanks bud, I'm out on the JCW due to it being a private seller. If anyone knows of a nice MCS or JCW with low mileage at a dealership in VIC, let me know ASAP. It's my 40th birthday present! >:D

My budget is under $15k for a 2004 - 2006 with the supercharger. You guys are the best

#24 ·
Some new developments are:

The guy with the red JCW would be agreeable to sell the car to a dealer who is a friend and in turn the dealer would sell the car to me for $500 more. I'd still have to pay the stamp duty. That's one option that would allow me to go thru a dealer.

I found a nice silver 2004 MCS MY04 in Sydney with all the options I wanted on gumtree for $13,850. Here's the advert verbage and some pics:

Date Listed:
28/03/2015

Last Edited:
28/03/2015

Listing Type:
Dealer used

Make:
Mini

Model:
Cooper

Body Type:
Hatchback

Year:

Kilometres:

Transmission:
Manual

Drive Train:
Front Wheel Drive

Fuel Type:
Petrol - Unleaded

Colour:
Silver

Air Conditioning:
Yes

VIN:
WMWRE32030TK75588

Registration Number:
NXH60E

Variant:
S

Seller Licence:

This 2004 model Mini Cooper S in silver has just been traded in excellent condition both inside and out. Comes with log books and full service history. Economical 1.6l supercharged engine and easy to drive and park. Comes fitted with leather interior, sunroof, spoiler, alloys, fog lights and more.

Attachments

#25 ·
Hey team! I just put a $100 deposit on the silver model...sight unseen. >:D

I got the price down from $12950 to $11500 with a 1 year Honda warranty. I'm thinking I've done pretty well. I managed to get most of the options I was wanting. What could go wrong?:eeksurprise::eeksurprise:

#26 ·
Looks good!

Also has the Chrono pack (would have loved that) - thats the dual guages (speedo and tacho) on the steering column with the extra gauges in the centre of the dash.

Also looks like the MY2005 facelift version with the reversing lights moved up to the tail lights and the fog light in the centre of the rear bumper.

#28 ·
Well here's an unhappy update. The financing went thru, settled and I'm here in Sydney to pick up the car and we decided to stay in Sydney overnight and drive around.

After about an hour of driving to Bondi Beach I heard the infamous clutch chatter while in neutral which goes away after the clutch is depressed.

I signed the delivery documents with (STC) subject to check. I checked NSW consumer affairs and there seems to be only a 1 day cooling off period for financing arranged by the dealer or linked credit arrangement. We arranged the loan through a broker.

I have the sinking feeling the clutch problem is mine to own. In this case can anyone recommend the the parts needed to fix the issue? some have said in the north american motoring forum that the flywheel fixes it, some said the tranny needs replacement.

I do have a 12 month Sentinel Warranty with the NWC which only covers mechanical failure. How much is this lemon going to cost me? 2004 MY05 MCS 6spd Manual.

Edit, i found the updated flywheel part no 21 20 7 548 804, should i start with that? There is plenty of clutch, it bites with about an inch let out.

http://youtu.be/86V8V9ddu34

#29 ·
Here's a better update: I went back to the dealer before leaving Sydney and the Service Manager offered to pay for the labor to fix it anywhere I choose. He put it all in writing.

He also suggested talking to the Salesman who was out sick today to pay for the parts or get a partial refund for $1000 so I need to find the best deal on the updated flywheel and clutch kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.