MINI Cooper Forum banner

Car cleaning / F1 Ceramic coating

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Vermicious 
#1 ·
Hi all! I bought a six month old Mini Cooper S in black which I absolutely love. The dealer threw in the F1 Williams Ceramic coating which does leave the car with a great gloss.

However, there are one or two small swirls on one panel and I was contemplating using a polish on this to possibly help remove.

Does anyone know whether polishes can be used on these coats and which one? Additionally would love to hear which car cleaning products work for you!

Many thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Most paint swirls are caused by incorrect washing and or paint correction (polishing) before a sealant coat is applied (canubra wax or synthetic sealant). If you have a swirl, its most likely under the sealant so the only way to remove it is to remove the sealant (normally by claybar), correct the paint (polish) and then reseal the surface.

If you are correcting paint (scratches / swirls) you should always start with the mildest polish and use it no more than twice, if its still there, then use a medium polish 2 x max. If this doesn't correct it then the scratch or mark may be under the clear coat !

Always use the mildest polish first with a random orbital polisher as your total paint is only about 130 microns thick (undercoat, base coat, clear coat) so you don't want to remove more than 2-3 microns at a polish.

If your not confidant doing this yourself, visit a reputable car detailer and get a quote.

This link is to an Australian company who run clinics for those wishing to detail their own cars, I attended a clinic and used my personal vehicle for the class test vehicle and unfortunately I never took a before and after photo's but my bonnet (hood) came up a treat after the class used it to learn and hone their skills. The link has some good information and videos ! http://howto.carcareproducts.com.au/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.