MINI Cooper Forum banner

Help Needed, Mini Cooper S, Battery Removal.

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  adamw96 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I recently had my alternator belt snap and now my battery is flat.

I want to remove the battery and charge it over night, to drive to the garage. Will this cause any issues with the car?

Would it damage ECU or the Alarm and Immobiliser?

I have a 2006, R56 Mini Cooper S.

Thanks in Advance.

#11 ·
adamw96. I have disconnected my R56 N18 MCS battery a couple of times.

I didn't take it out to charge it, but then I didn't need to. I didn't 'lose' the radio nor activate an alarm (how could it?) but if you need to carry your battery indoors I can't see a problem.

I think I had to reset my speedo choices and clock, if I remember correctly. The last time I did so in the hope of eliminating a mini-specific code and it worked fine (saving a trip to the dealer to cancel this code, which couldn't be cancelled in the normal way by a code reader...)

One word of warning tho'. My battery terminals were tapered and the clamp was parallel and it subsequently loosened a little by travelling up the taper. If I needed to do it again I'd 'pack out' the taper in some way...but how would be entirely up to you...

Hope this proves a little more helpful.

#12 ·
Thanks a lot cjm , that's really helpful.

I reset my 2002 cooper before and never had and issue other than what you explained, I was just worried with this one having more elctrics that something would go wrong.

oh thanks, did the terminal become loose after you did it?

one thing that was annoying to get to battery the little clip broke to hold the battery cover as was freezing the other night and was brittle, I have 1 left so should hold hopefully.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.