Towing a Cooper behind an RV - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > All Models & Variants > General Discussion

General Discussion Use this forum to discuss MINI topics which are not related to other forums. Posts may be moved from here to alternative forums by the moderators without notice

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cooper vs. Cooper S problems YaP Second Generation Faults & Fixes 8 May 21st, 2014 01:43 AM
2014 MINI Cooper Hardtop Revealed AutoGuide.com MINI News 12 Feb 12th, 2014 02:12 PM
Learning to Drive MINIs the Way John Cooper Intended AutoGuide.com MINI News 0 Jul 26th, 2013 06:12 PM
A Look Back at the Three Generations of the Mini Cooper & Cooper S mab01uk MINI in the Media 2 Mar 10th, 2013 10:11 AM
Mini Cooper Trailer Towing postofficemike General Discussion 1 Jan 24th, 2013 06:58 PM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 12:46 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 08:57 AM
United States View wh1tby's Solid Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
United-States Towing a Cooper behind an RV

We own a Cooper S and want to tow it behind our 33' Class A diesel powered motorhome.

We have two options: Either use a tow dolly (raise front wheels off the ground) or tow it "flat" or "4 wheels down" with a tow bar (Blue Ox make the necessary hardware). Putting it on a trailer is OK for a long distance move but not for normal RV use.

Has anyone had experience they can share with us. We cannot get a straight answer out of anybody and we are new to the RV scene.

Thank you.

Happy Motoring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 14th, 2003, 12:50 AM
MINI2 Premium Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
Loves the Fuzzy One
Send a message via AIM to AprilWhine Send a message via MSN to AprilWhine Send a message via Skype™ to AprilWhine

United States Female
You are going to have to use the tow dolly.

BMW says the MINI cannot be flat towed.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 12:53 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 09:57 AM
United States View GMINI's Pepper White & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile
Third option so often forgotten: Why tow when you can park it inside and sleep on it? 33' sounds like a decent ammount of space and the MINI can be drasticly lightened to have even less impact on the suspension.

I have heard witness of an RV that garaged a MINI. You're not a motorhome unless you've got a motorgarage...

Old Apr 14th, 2003, 12:55 AM
Loves the Fuzzy One
Send a message via AIM to AprilWhine Send a message via MSN to AprilWhine Send a message via Skype™ to AprilWhine

United States Female
GMINI, I've GOT to keep you and the fuzzy one apart! He's hot to do a bus conversion, complete with a garage for my MINI.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 01:28 AM
Let's Motor.
Send a message via MSN to MiniMan7

Local Time: 10:57 AM
Canada View MiniMan7's Electric Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
I just saw a pic of Mini2 of a Mini driving into a Motorhome... why not do that!?
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 01:42 AM
Loves the Fuzzy One

United States Female
Realistically, you are not going to do that with an existing motorhome. Making a traveling garage is something that would have to be designed in at the beginning.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 02:04 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United States View wh1tby's Solid Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
Unhappy

[font=arial]This is all very useful but not ultimately helpful. Blue Ox have a kit specifically for the Mini which allows it to be flat towed, despite BMW's recommendations, it would seem. You can even download the manual showing how to install the tow bar. So who is right, Blue Ox or BMW? Is there anything to be damaged by flat towing (tow dollys (or is it dollies!) are quite tricky to use and have to be stowed somewhere when you are on site), it would seem that there will be no transmission issues (the clutch has disconnected all parts that may be damaged due to lack of lubrication) and all that is left is the CV joints.

Any thoughts?

Happy Motoring
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 03:30 AM
Let's Motor.
Send a message via MSN to MiniMan7

Local Time: 10:57 AM
Canada View MiniMan7's Electric Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
Quote:
Originally posted by AprilWhine
Realistically, you are not going to do that with an existing motorhome. Making a traveling garage is something that would have to be designed in at the beginning.

Realistically it is impossible with an existing motorhome, but it does look cool seeing a Mini drive into one.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 03:42 AM
Loves the Fuzzy One

United States Female
I agree with you, MiniMan7. I've seen pictures of a Mini, not a MINI, that was hauled sideways in the cargo bay of a bus conversion.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 03:44 AM
AprilWhine's Fuzzy One

Local Time: 05:57 AM
United States Male
OK, here is the straight answer.

Quote:
Originally posted by wh1tby
[font=arial]This is all very useful but not ultimately helpful. Blue Ox have a kit specifically for the Mini which allows it to be flat towed, despite BMW's recommendations, it would seem. You can even download the manual showing how to install the tow bar. So who is right, Blue Ox or BMW?
Is there anything to be damaged by flat towing (tow dollys (or is it dollies!) are quite tricky to use and have to be stowed somewhere when you are on site), it would seem that there will be no transmission issues (the clutch has disconnected all parts that may be damaged due to lack of lubrication) and all that is left is the CV joints.
Any thoughts?

Blue Ox is a good product. I have installed and used their base plates and tow bars.

I have been a technician, motorhome, and auto for years.
You are mistaken about the transmission not turning when towing. Everything connected to the wheels will turn when towing. I don't understand your statement that the clutch will be disconnected. True, the clutch disconnects the engine while your foot is on it. I have seen people use a board to hold the clutch down, very shaky.

If the transmission is designed so that it is oiled from the gearing attached to the wheels, then you can tow it limited distances wheels down. I have done this for years with Nissan trucks. In their transmissions, the tailshaft drives the lowest gears in the tranny, and provides lube to the gears. If the trans is designed with the output shaft above the input shaft, there will be no lubrication to the gearing, and your transmission will burn up. Period. Only some one with a shop manual can tell you how the transmission is designed. BMW?

You will not be able to conceal the drilling or welding from mounting the tow bar base plate, and you will have no warranty coverage from the manufacturer.

There are wheel adapters that bolt to your axle shafts which provide free wheeling bearings when your wheels are bolted to them. This is the safest way to tow a front wheel drive car flat down. ( I did a google for those adapters, but they seem to not be in production any more. They were pretty high maintainance)

BMW designs the transmissions and has them manufactured. Blue Ox is a fine company, however they do not design cars, or transmissions, and do not warranty your transmission when using their products.

I prefer flat down towing, and have always done that with my various motor coaches.

"In life, you may do anything you are willing to live with the consequences".

I do understand this is not the answer you are looking for, and I have no interest in debating the subject. I have retired from working on other peoples vehicles. Best of luck, and we may meet at some park in the future. I will have my MINI on a trailer or dolly.

Old Apr 14th, 2003, 05:28 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Towing a Mini

Thank you for help. Your experience was just what I was looking for.

My comment on the clutch was meaningless and I mislead you (brain not connected). What I was really thinking was that with the gearbox in neutral there would less turning in the gearbox and, as you say, it depends on the design whether or not the components that would be driven by the wheels would be lubricated.

However I think you answered my question. Sounds like a tow dolly or trailer is the answer.

Thank you again.

Happy Motoring
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 05:51 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 01:57 PM
United States
towing a MINI

Towing a MINI using a dolly (for me behind my RV would be a huge issue.
I'm going to explore another option and would appreciate comments from you mechanics out there who may have a thought on this. REMCO (a tow bar company) makes an external lubrication pump for the transmission activated (when towing)through a simple in-line wiring harness. This system is sold for particular front wheel drive cars but, unfortunately, not (at least yet) for the MINI. I'm thinking.............adapt. Any good thoughts out there?
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 09:39 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 09:57 AM
United States
I own a RV Park and of this date,I have not seen a MINI come in behind a MH either towed or trailered. The only MINI,I have seen is a trailered one on the Interstate behind a bus conversion.

BillO
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 07:44 AM
Moderator & Sponsor

Local Time: 07:57 AM
United States
Quote:
Originally posted by AprilWhine

Designed to house MINIs? Take a look at this thread!

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthrea...ight=motorhome

Way cool!

+ 2002 MINI Cooper S - Dark Silver / White roof, Sport, Premium, Lapis blue leather
+ 1965 Mini Traveller - Tartan Red / White roof, 1275, Cooper S discs, fully restored/renewed
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 08:30 AM
Loves the Fuzzy One

United States Female
Cool link, thanks Bruce! How did I manage to miss that thread?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement