MINI Cooper Forum banner

Timing Chain

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Milpol 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Please excuse my naivety with this question - I own a 2009 R56 Mini One 1.4; the car has been regularly serviced as and when needed in the 6 years I've owned it. Is this model fitted with a cam belt or timing chain, and if so how often should it be replaced?

I've recently encountered 'trust issues' with the supposedly reputable garage I used and having heard horror stories of these chains breaking, want to be sure I have been given the correct information. Many thanks.

#2 ·
They use a timing chain and the top guide tends to wear and fall apart as it is only a hardened plastic strip, if you hear a rattle on cold start then its a sign that it needs to be replaced, the rattle will go once your over 3000 rpm but as the wear increases the rattle will be prominent at any engine speed.

End result is, once you start to hear the rattle, stop driving the car and get it sorted before you have damaged parts dropping into the sump and the possibility of the chain jumping a tooth and altering your timing which will result in major engine damage. The chain doesn't break in most cases but as your timing goes out of sync, the valves will impact with the piston heads, the rest is sef explanatory.

#4 ·
Hi,
I am (or was) in the market for a 2008 or 2009 Mini S and I have just heard about the T Chain issue.
Question; Will an evaluation of the vehicle at BMW determine if the chain is on the way out ......IE are there early indications or do we have to wait for the death rattle ?

Thank guys
John

#6 ·
d33gs, the rattle is the early indication, it will happen for about 30 seconds on start up, especially from cold. As soon as you hear it, stop driving the car and get it fixed, it only gets worse until you damage the engine. For what its worth, its no different on Gen 1's albeit differing components but the end result is the same. Ignore the rattle at yours and your engines peril.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.